Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

giving access to /etc/valiases/domain.com to user with php s

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by haze, Apr 15, 2002.

1. haze

haze Well-Known Member

I have a customer that wants to be able to edit the file via a php script on his site. How can I go about doing this?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. parag

parag Well-Known Member

[quote:aa2e8a36bc][i:aa2e8a36bc]Originally posted by iminteractive[/i:aa2e8a36bc]

I have a customer that wants to be able to edit the file via a php script on his site. How can I go about doing this?[/quote:aa2e8a36bc]

right now we do that manually for our clients ..

but if there is a script to edit that which a client can handle on his/her own - would be great.

Parag

3. bdraco

bdraco Guest

[quote:82a454e803][i:82a454e803]Originally posted by iminteractive[/i:82a454e803]

I have a customer that wants to be able to edit the file via a php script on his site. How can I go about doing this?[/quote:82a454e803]

He just wanted to edit it manually in a text box?

4. haze

haze Well-Known Member

He is providing aliases to users of his site, and he has a scipt made up to automatically modify the file to do so. What permissions or ownerships rather, should I make? Are there any other steps?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. bdraco

bdraco Guest

[quote:f6067f534d][i:f6067f534d]Originally posted by iminteractive[/i:f6067f534d]

He is providing aliases to users of his site, and he has a scipt made up to automatically modify the file to do so. What permissions or ownerships rather, should I make? Are there any other steps?[/quote:f6067f534d]

Its already writable to his user if you a using suexec.

6. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Nope, I cant use SuExec, as it conflicts with a few of our users cgi scripts.

7. moronhead

moronhead Well-Known Member

[quote:dbc7054457][i:dbc7054457]Originally posted by bdraco[/i:dbc7054457]

[quote:dbc7054457][i:dbc7054457]Originally posted by iminteractive[/i:dbc7054457]

He is providing aliases to users of his site, and he has a scipt made up to automatically modify the file to do so. What permissions or ownerships rather, should I make? Are there any other steps?[/quote:dbc7054457]

Its already writable to his user if you a using suexec.[/quote:dbc7054457]
    If the valias file is already user writeable why would we need suexec to make the php script modify the file?

8. snowgod

snowgod Well-Known Member

Because otherwise the script is run as &nobody& rather than the user (and the user owns his/her own valiases file). Nobody doesn't have access to write this file.

But I didn't think PHP scripts were actually run under the user's UID under a buildapache(mod_php) setup, even with SUEXEC.

Nick?

9. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Anyone have a solution for this at all? Im still fooling around and haven't come up with anything.

10. jpfour23

jpfour23 Active Member

asy word on this... i'm trying to do it myself?