The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Giving different users access to whm

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kickback, Mar 8, 2004.

1. kickback

kickback Member

Hi I was wondering would any one here think it would be a good idea if you could give people access to your reseller account or root but give them certain permissions.

2. ddeans

ddeans Well-Known Member

Why would the users need root access?

3. kickback

kickback Member

well I run a webhosing company and we have lots of moderators in the forum and I would like some to have access to whm but as i said It wouldbe nice if we could set them their permitions so they cant do some things,

4. ddeans

ddeans Well-Known Member

If they already have cPanel access then goto Reseller center and add them in as a reseller, then you can modify what they can and can't do from there.

5. kickback

kickback Member

No we have that allready. What im saying is we have all of our free users on a reseller plan and I want the mods to have access to that but I dont want them to do certian things so one mad may be able to suspend accounts and the other not be able to see what i mean now ?

6. ddeans

ddeans Well-Known Member

You will have to add them all in as resellers. Then edit reseller privileges and tell WHM what EACH one can and cannot do. But you need to be sure that you have created a user cPanel account on that server first, then add them as a reseller, then change their privileges. I have done the same exact thing you are trying to do over here and it works fine.

7. kickback

kickback Member

dont worry your still dont understand.

8. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

I think most people here don't understand. I know I am not worried.

There is no "semi-root" WHM. There is support for resellers and you can customize what options are available to your resellers.

I think you are complicating the whole matter by talking about giving users and moderators this or that type of account.

I think what you want is to give "non-root" users (maybe members of the wheel group) access to the root WHM and then to be able to customize the options available with the root WHM on a per account basis.

I know I have seen this topic discussed in these forum before under the context of not giving every web hosting tech support employee the proverbial "keys to the castle". I do not know what resolution was reached.

9. kickback

kickback Member

thats what ive been trying to say,

I know I have seen this topic discussed in these forum before under the context of not giving every web hosting tech support employee the proverbial "keys to the castle". I do not know what resolution was reached.