The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Global Email Filter not working

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Troy Van Marter, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Troy Van Marter

Troy Van Marter Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Our VPS server is regularly hit with SPAM broadcasts from domains .top, .pro, .click, .xyz, .download, .review, .date, .win, .racing, .party, .work, .tokyo, .science, and .link. I was told by our hosting company that there is no way at a VPS level to block all mail from such domains. The only way I could do so is via individual Global Email filter within each cPanel account.

Because of the high volume of email sent to all our accounts on a regular bases, I have set a Global Email Filter for every cPanel account. This filter is first in the list and I have uploaded an image of the filter. Second in the list is the filter created by spam assassin. Nearly all accounts have SpamAssassin with auto-delete enabled on a setting of 5 or 4.

When I use the built in test for the first filter, it finds the criteria and notes that no delivery will be made. (Save message to: /dev/null 0660 Filtering set up at least one significant delivery or other action. No other deliveries will occur.) I ran the test using an email address from SPAM - frank+infiltration@domain

However, the SPAM still continues to appear in the inboxes of clients. At times it seems to work and other times it seems that the filters are totally bypassed.

Can someone look a my filter and provide me with some help. I am a cPanel beginner and really struggling with this. I have read other forum entries related to this topic and lots of "hints" but has seen no clear directions on dealing with this. I truly appreciate your help.

#1 Troy Van Marter, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2016
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You can actually block specific TLDs globally with an Exim system filter. There's a thread on this at:

Need to filter ALL email

Ensure you read the recent posts to this thread for updated rules that users have submitted.

Thank you.

3. Troy Van Marter

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you Michael,

Would you know why the current implementation of the global Email filters is not working? Have I configured something within the filter wrong?

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The image you attached is not visible. Would you mind attaching it again, or posting your filter rule in CODE tags?

Thank you.

5. Troy Van Marter

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Capture2.JPG
    This one was suppose to work as well, but it does not....

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You may want to try adjusting your custom regular expressions to the ones suggested on this thread:

Need to filter ALL email

In particular, it looks like you are using more backslashes than the one in the example.

Thank you.