The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

global FTP account

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aquitaine, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Member

Hi
    We have a cpanel server with pure-ftpd running.

I need to create a user/pass that will allow me access to all the domains on the server.

Anyone have a clue about this ?

thanks
    dhruv

2. Izzee

Izzee Well-Known Member

I don't believe that is possible using standard ftp.

However if you have root you could use a freeware sftp/scp program called WinSCP .
    This will allow you to log in as root and have access to all files and directories on your server to sftp/scp/edit/chown/chmod etc. it also has a shell interface if required. All up a handy tool if you use Windose OS. I use it in preference to a regular ftp program by choice. Very nice interface and highly configurable.

:)

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Member

hi
    i managed to bypass that situation with a little look around here and there.

However i did notice that if you use ProFTPd it allows a root login, now keep in mind that you are giving away your root pwd over an unsecured channel so it does compromise security ..

However if you are really desperate it will work..

As an alternate that i havnt implemented i was thinking what would work is to create a new user which was part of the groups of all the accounts you would need to edit and then chmod the folders with 0666 and above it should work out ok.

dhruv