The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gmail email different to username so NO SENT emails stored on server? Please help :)

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by DandyDahlia, Feb 17, 2015.

1. DandyDahlia

DandyDahlia Registered

Feb 17, 2015
    Sydney, Australia, Australia
    cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner

First time writer, long time reader. I have an email and security question I would really appreciate help with.

I have 20 people set up on my cpanel hosting as getting email forwarders:
    e.g forwards to forwards to

Now the people want to 'send' email from their mydomain email address but I don't want to give them each an email account or have them take up space on my server.

One thing I thought was to set up a single username e.g with a single password 123456 and give that *same* username and password to everyone so they could send email as their, emails via gmail.

I tested this and setting up like above works / does allow me to send from in the sending box and also have the receiver reply to

My question is - Can personA, personC, personD etc who all have the same username be able to login anywhere with that username and password to see the emails the other people have sent? I don't want the emails sent via that username to be stored anywhere - is there a way I can make sure the emails sent using the gmail set up username etc get securely deleted from the server?

Thank you
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

This is not really a secure setup. Sent messages are stored when using IMAP, so any clients that choose to use IMAP with those credentials will see all emails sent out and saved to the "Sent" folder directory. In my opinion, it's a better idea to issue individual email accounts and monitor usage.

Thank you.