The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gmail reputation

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Mugz, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Mugz

Mugz Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I was testing emails on a clients domain to see why they were going to junk (DKIM, SPF and DMARC were set) it seems to be simply that they contained too little content. I didn't like to mark as spam as I wanted a true representation as to where the emails were ending up.

Now what seems to have happened is because the messages were going in to spam and me or the client never clicked "not spam", Gmail seems to think it has done a good job and now thinks that too many messages from the domain are spam. In order to try and combat this, I have gone in to every test message I sent and marked as "not spam".
    I have also gone in to other gmail accounts I had and sent messages, then marked as "not spam".

The last gmail account I sent a test message to (with actual content) seemed to have gone in to the inbox straight away but I never clicked "not spam" on this account before.

Has my actions clicking "not spam" on several other email accounts actually improved this domains reputation?

I'm thinking I might create several more gmail accounts for email testing so I can mark them as "not junk".

Does the same system work in hotmail as in several people click "not spam" it will improve the email reputation?

Thanks

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You might to investigate this over at gmail:
    Bulk Senders Guidelines - Gmail Help

I've never heard of email being marked as spam due to the amount of content, or lack thereof.

3. Mugz

Mugz Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks. That's where I looked before. the part "Mail classifications depend heavily on reports from users." seems to make me think that if perhaps the percentage of people classing it as not spam relative to a certain number of emails from that user might increase the positive reputation of that user and therefore give it a higher chance of reaching the inbox.

When I tested this client sending to gmail before, it had placed it in to the spam folder and said "the email typically contains content used in spam emails" but the email didn't actually contain any content and previously when I added content, it placed it in to the inbox which is why I asked. Very odd.

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Mail Delivery Reports in WHM may be of some use to you for those specific emails, depending on the details revealed there.
    An empty email could be considered spam I suppose. Googling for:
    is an empty email considered spam?

I did find many results, here one very old post:
    spamfighter.com/News-12620-Spammers-Use-Blank-E-mail-Technique-to-Evade-Spam-Filters.htm