The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going forward 6 years; server migration time

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Parcye, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Parcye

Parcye Well-Known Member

Currently we run a server from 2004 and it is reaching its limits. Now we don't want to keep two server online, meaning : time to do a migration.

I am fully confident that with some DNS tweaks on the TTL and the copy account function from cPanel/WHM we can get the data over and domains pointing to the correct location, but then the big issue...

Currently NS1 and NS2.domain point to 1.2.3.4 (server2004) and 1.2.4.3(server2004) and we want to move everything over to servernew, been on 1.9.8.7 and 1.9.8.6 .

I have the feeling that back in 2004 I had to install DNS my self, along with spamd, clam etc .

When I get a new, clean server with cPanel/WHM is DNS preinstalled? And do I only need to change the IP's at the domain company for NS1 and NS2.domain ?

Does cPanel/WHM now come with full spamd en clam support?

Is copying the account using multiple account copy the best way? I read something about express transfer?

I want to be sure all things go right from the moment 'go' as we have a few e-commerce and crm solutions running, but the rest is basicly small, non functional stuff.

For the few important domains I can easily do some changes on the old server to move the DNS to point to the new server, but not for over 1000 domains that are running.

What is the best way to go about this? I have read many of the posts regarding migrations and the problem is that nobody really gives any feedback once the migration is done; either : it went well and they had no 'hick-ups' or they didn't even continu, both to far from the truth if you ask me...