Going from CENTOS 6 to 7. What problems to watch for?

Jelf

Jun 26, 2016
Redmond
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I have a primary domain and several subdomains hosted as a single VPS. My ISP is Bluehost. The switch from CENTOS 6 to 7 will go like so:
  1. I do a backup
  2. A Bluehost tech installs CENTOS 7
  3. I restore from the backup I made
  4. I add my configuration settings. This includes some cron jobs and PHP-FPM tweaks. I need to think if there are any other config tweaks I made.
One question I have is whether my SSL certificates will work when I restore via the backup. Or will I have to go through the process of manually installing the SSL certificates?
What else do I need to think about and plan for so the switch from CENTOS 6 to 7 goes as smoothly as possible?

keat63

Nov 20, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I went from 6 to 7 around 6 months ago, although Ii wasn't an update as such, I moved servers totally.
I configured the V7 server with my security (CSF, Mod Sec) etc, before I started any account migration.
Then migrated the accounts, one at a time (I have about 10 accounts)

I ran in to no issues that i'd not pre -empted.
Everything was quite seemless to be honest.

Reactions: Jelf

andrew.n

Jun 9, 2020
EU
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Your plan sounds good...I recently did a migration for a client at Bluehost and it was seamless though make sure you adjust your name servers to the new IPs.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
The previous posters experience has also been mine - cPanel itself doesn't really care about the OS version as far as an account restore is concerned. It's much more important to ensure that PHP and MySQL versions are in place with all the modules, although it's also easy to move your EasyApache 4 profile between machines with the Transfer Tool, or create a backup and restore that to the new machine.

You can use the details here to convert your current settings to a profile that you can move between servers: