The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going from slave server to master server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kcdworks, Sep 10, 2002.

1. kcdworks

kcdworks Well-Known Member

I have a server that was originally set up as a slave server, but it now needs to be a master server. What is the easiest way to do this? The NOC recommended simply removing the master dns server in the &Edit Setup& section, but now I am getting ndc connection refused messages when making any DNS changes. I ran the following commands to track down the problem:

ndc reload
    tail /var/log/messages

And got this back:

----------------------------------------------------
    Sep 9 15:39:40 encrypt named[2947]: using 1 CPU
    Sep 9 15:39:40 encrypt named[2950]: loading configuration from '/etc/named.conf'
    Sep 9 15:39:40 encrypt named[2950]: /etc/named.conf:34: option 'allow-update' is not allowed in 'slave' zone '0.0.127.in-addr.arpa'
    Sep 9 15:39:40 encrypt named[2950]: /etc/named.conf:226: option 'allow-update' is not allowed in 'slave' zone 'localhost'
    Sep 9 15:39:40 encrypt named[2950]: loading configuration: failure
    Sep 9 15:39:40 encrypt named[2950]: exiting (due to fatal error)
    Sep 9 15:39:40 encrypt named: named startup failed
    Sep 9 15:40:49 encrypt proftpd[2633]: encrypt.safetyforlife.com (localhost[127.0.0.1]) - FTP login timed out, disconnected.
    Sep 9 15:44:22 encrypt proftpd[2822]: encrypt.safetyforlife.com (localhost[127.0.0.1]) - FTP login timed out, disconnected.
    Sep 9 15:46:52 encrypt sshd(pam_unix)[3073]: session opened for user root by (uid=0)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

any help appreciated.

( I also tried making a backup of named.conf and removing all accounts that were on the master server and changing the localhost zone back to master, to no avail.)

2. Juanra

Juanra Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken, you can only have allow-update substatements in master zones (type master and not type slave). That's also what the error messages say anyway.

I didn't know Cpanel set up dynamic updates.

3. kcdworks

[quote:8be45b6532][i:8be45b6532]Originally posted by Juanra[/i:8be45b6532]

If I'm not mistaken, you can only have allow-update substatements in master zones (type master and not type slave). That's also what the error messages say anyway.

I didn't know Cpanel set up dynamic updates.[/quote:8be45b6532]

If that were true, then I'd be getting errors on the previous master server (which is still up and running) because it has the same &auto-update& lines in it.

That's why i'm stuck.

4. Juanra

Juanra Well-Known Member

Hmm, can we see the output of this:
    # grep &0.0.127.in-addr.arpa& -A4 /etc/named.conf
    in both servers?

What's the localhost zone for?

5. itf

itf Well-Known Member

modify /etc/named.conf

you have to remove &masters& line (master server IP address lines) in zone blocks and also change &type& statement to &master& also remove allow-update line in both servers (if applicable)

if you still have a problem run
    /scripts/fixnamed
    /scripts/fixndc
    is a root SSH session

6. kcdworks

It seems that it's finally working. Thanks for the help everyone ... I simply restored the backup I made before I started, made all the changes again, and it worked ... so I guess that's it. :)