The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google Apps - gmail

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by drhamad, Feb 12, 2007.

1. drhamad

drhamad Member

So, I've recently decided to start using Gmail through Google Apps for one of my domains. But I've never really edited MX entries before, so I wanted to be sure I did it right. For instance, the MX entry on this particular domain (fmvperformance.com) is, in "edit a dns zone,":

fmvperformance.com. - 14400 - MX - 0 - fmvperformance.com.

Do I delete this and just replace it with the 5 MX entries that Google wants? Further, do I put those entries in place of both places in each line where it says fmvperformance.com., or just one?

Thanks!

Edit:
    Lastly, Google wants priorities entered?

#1 drhamad, Feb 12, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  2. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

You'll have 5 different lines, such as:

fmvperformance.com. - 14400 - MX - 10 - googleserver1.com.
    fmvperformance.com. - 14400 - MX - 20 - googleserver2.com.
    fmvperformance.com. - 14400 - MX - 30 - googleserver3.com.
    fmvperformance.com. - 14400 - MX - 40 - googleserver4.com.
    fmvperformance.com. - 14400 - MX - 50 - googleserver5.com.

The numbers 10-50 setup the priority, which just means that 10 is tried before 20 and so on.

The lines basically mean this:

fmvperformance.com uses the googleserver1.com server as it's primary MX server, and this entry is good for 14400 seconds

Once you've done that, you'll also need to remove fmvperformance.com from the file /etc/localdomains and add it to the file /etc/remotedomains. If the latter file doesn't exist, create it. This tells your server that mail shouldn't be delivered locally, but to a remote server.