The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google Apps with Split Delivery Issue Solution

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by LepregoN, Feb 19, 2016.

1. LepregoN

LepregoN Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello everybody,

It has been for a long time trying to solve this and got lots of help from this forum. I thought people are still asking around and couldn't figure out because of the technical terms etc. (I am a rookie and still having hard time to understand these)

Now... Problem was I had a domain and hosted under Bluehost. I created an e-mail accounts under my cPanel. Let's go with examples.

Domain : example.com
    email account #1 : info@example.com
    email account #2 : test@example.com

Now when I bought Google Apps Seat for my #1 e-mail account my MX records changed and pointed to google. I didn't have any problem using #1 e-mail account.

After creating #2 e-mail account (test@example.com) I realized I can not get any e-mails. Because MX records are pointing to google for that e-mail too and I didn't buy google apps seat for #2 e-mail account (test@example.com).

One more thing before we start. I have WHM access and I don't know how it can be done without it. I assume you have WHM access too.

Let's assume we are starting the beginning.

SOLUTION :

1. Go to Bluehost.com and click on login. Login with your domain name and password

[Removed - Please attach images directly to the thread]

3. Click on Email Manager.

4. Click on "Create an e-mail account"

5. Create the first e-mail account for the google apps that you are going to use.

Let's say it is info@example.com

6. Let's go ahead and create the #2 e-mail account test@example.com. We are not going to pay google apps for this e-mail account.

7. Now go back to bluehost main menu and click on "domains".

8. Go to "Zone Editor".

9. Choose your domain from the list.

10. Make sure your MX records for example.com is pointing to google.

11. Go back to main menu and click on domains again.

12. Click on "subdomains".

13. Create a subdomain. Name of the subdomain is up to you i am going to use "mailserver".

14. We are done with bluehost. Now login to your WHM and click on "DNS Functions".

15. Then click on "Edit MX entry".

16. From the list choose your domain. For us it is example.com

17. Make sure "Local Mail Exchanger" is selected and save it.

18. Go back to Edit MX Entry again and this time choose subdomain that you created. For us it was mailserver.example.com and make sure "Remote Mail Exchanger" is selected. Under the MX Entries section you will see your subdomain already there and that is what we need. Problem that I had when I hit the save button it gave me an error. So I deleted both MX entry ROWs and manually entered the exact same thing with clicking on "Add another MX entry field" I typed 14400 for the TTL and 0 for priority, MX destination : mailserver.example.com then saved and it accepted.

19. We are done with WHM too. Now we need to login to google admin console. Go to Sign in - Google Accounts and login with info@example.com and password that you created for google apps.

20. Click on "Google Apps" then click on "Gmail" and click on "Advanced settings"

21. In advanced setting find "ROUTING" section and click on "Add another destination" and then make sure "unknown mailbox accounts only" is selected and then put your subdomain to "Destination" (I put mailserver.example.com) then dont forget to SAVE...

Give 5-10 minutes and you are DONE !!!

Now your non-paid, non-google apps email account (test@example.com) should be able to send and receive emails.

Good luck !

#1 LepregoN, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2016
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this guide. Please ensure you attach the images directly to the thread, as links to third-party image hosting websites are not permitted.

Thank you.

3. David Leger

David Leger Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Interesting idea... I've been wondering if this would be possible for either google, or even exchange... I was thinking it would be nice to have a mailbox or two as throwaway accounts. Would be nice to check from time to time, but not use up a license. Thanks for sharing.

4. JoseDieguez

JoseDieguez Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Good information there, in case the "catch-all" is not an option for you in google apps, or you do need different senders.