The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google trying to access mail accounts

Discussion in 'Security' started by coldclimber, Dec 5, 2011.

1. coldclimber

coldclimber Active Member

Since last Friday I have had over 100 attempts from google trying to access a couple of email accounts on the server

The ip address 209.85.214.24
    and then many variations of 209.85.

I have tracked it and all of them go back to google

For the life of me i can not work out why this has started and how to stop it without actually blacklisting the ip

209.85.0.0/16 which blocks it completely but then i don't want to block google from the all the sites on the server.

The strange thing is, is that i do not get email notifications of these but i do for any other attempts, say if i tried to login with the wrong password from my account, then i would get an email as normal, but not any from the google ip

Any ideas of suggestions would be gratefully received.

2. k-planethost

k-planethost Well-Known Member

google uses different ranges of ips for reading websites such as starting from 66+
    i dont think if you block mail-bw0-f24.google.com you should prevent google from reading websites

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You could just block the IPs on incoming port 25 for exim or whatever port it is using to hit the machine. That is likely gmail for google rather than the google spider anyway. You will, of course, be blocking people sending to your server from gmail at that point, so you should be aware that will occur.