The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grant end-user email account admin privs

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by imacurious, Mar 9, 2005.

1. imacurious

imacurious Member

I've been hunting to find an implemented administrative function which will permit an individual user to manage their own e-mail account but have not found anything yet.

How does an individual e-mail user (not a domain administrator) access functions to administer their own e-mail account? ie.

- set their own forwards
    - create their own alias
    - create their own autoresponder
    - define a server-side out-of-office/vacation reply
    - build their own whitelist/blacklist

Previously I used the Ensim control panel and each person was able to manage their own server-side e-mail preferences logging into http://userdomain.com/username

Does Cpanel have anything similar available?

It's a real waste of time to get a domain administrator to do these sorts of things for 10-20 people all the time on a 'small' hosted domain, never mind having 200+ users on a larger hosted domain account.

As far as I can tell, with Cpanel a site administrator has to do everything....even the most trivial thing like a vacation message for a user.

Bill Smith goes on vacation for a week or more,

...his PC or laptop is shut off,

...e-mail comes into the server for Bill,

...each sender of e-mail to Bill gets no auto-response "I'm on vacation" message unless the site administrator creates the autoresponder for Bill when Bill leaves for vacation,

...the senders of email to Bill have no idea whether Bill has been fired, is on vacation, or simply is being an ass and not responding to his email,

...and Bill also has to get the site administrator involved should he want to forward his e-mail to Ted or Mary or Ed to take care of customer requests while he's on vacation.

This is nuts.

Assuming the site administrator gets involved in doing all this for Bill before he goes on vacation, or doesn't forget to do it for Bill, hopefully the site administrator remembers to turn the auto-responder off when the user returns from vacation (assuming the site administrator isn't also on vacation when the user returns).

Cpanel *must* have some way of being configured to give individual users access rights to e-mail functions like this.

Please tell me I'm wrong about this.

TIA

2. fwwebs

fwwebs Well-Known Member

Have you logged in using http://yourdomain.tld/webmail or :2095? You should see options at the bottom like these:
    . If not you may be running a very outdated version of the panel. Although it's possible that these are enabled by root and they haven't been, but the best I remember it's the default config.

3. imacurious

imacurious Member

Doohhhhh!

There it was staring me in the face all along.

Guess I need new glasses and a little more patience.

Thanks.

4. jdstallings

jdstallings Well-Known Member

I tried this but only see BoxTrapper and Aging.

I can not see anywhere onthe route to enable/disable these... I also have a brand new build...Any ideas?