The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grant permissions in phpmyadmin

Discussion in 'Security' started by santrix, Jun 12, 2010.

1. santrix

santrix Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have a user who wants to be able to grant table specific permissions to one of the users he has set up on his DB.

Is this possible? I thought it wasn't, but the customer insists that another hosting company has made it possible in the past. I thought it was effectively the root user that granted rights by proxy from the cpanel scripts - and that the individual cpanel users accounts don't have the rights to GRANT table access?

2. santrix

santrix Well-Known Member

OK, on further study I can see that the user table in the "mysql" database determines which mySQL accounts have GRANT privs...

Assuming a standard WHM install, if I add the GRANT priv to a mySQL user, is that going to :

1) allow them to grant any other user on the server privs to the database/s it has been given access to via the db table?

or

2) allow them to grant anyone to anything?

Obviously I want to avoid the latter! So what I'm asking is, what are the ramifications of putting a Y in the Grant_priv column for a mysql user account, assuming they have only been given access to their own DB in the db table (as per standard cpanel config) ?