The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Granting Developer Access to Cpanel

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by tvh69, Aug 19, 2009.

1. tvh69

tvh69 Registered

If you need some work done to your site and are reviewing proposals from different developers and one of them wants access to your cpanel to review the site's architecture and programming code, etc., should you allow it?

Is there a way to grant limited access to cpanel under these circumstances by creating a new user and password?

2. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

I would generally keep things in context of the scope of the work when considering security options ...

For something that is systems administrative / security type work then the scope needed would be general root access.

For web development, the scope would be just the web account where site content might be updated typically.

Now if you are talking about the later but don't want the web developer to have general access to your site, my suggestion would be to make them their own separate development account separate from your live production site and you can clone (copy) over relevant data and files to the development account. In this manner, you can also protect any potential confidential data or files as the developer in this case should be able to work from a duplicate test environment.

3. d_t

d_t Well-Known Member

I won't allow it, but if you want, you can create him a ftp (sub)account from your cPanel and allow access only to site files (no cpanel access, no mails, settings etc). If he need mysql access, he can install phpmyadmin in this account.