The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Granting MySQL rights beyond the options given

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by qureshi, Aug 17, 2007.

1. qureshi

qureshi Registered

Hi,

I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong category, wasn't quite sure.

I did a quick search but did not find a solution.

My problem is that I want to modify a MySQL user's privileges beyond those who can be set through the CPANEL interface (at least, the part of CPANEL interface I'm acquainted with). To be specific, I want to specify the exact tables and columns a user can access on a database.

I know I can ask my host to modify the table_priv and columns_priv tables the MySQL database that follows every MySQL installation. But I'm probably going to modify a lot of users, and I do not wish to bother my host with a hundred requests.

Is there a way to do this with CPANEL?

If you know a solution that is out of CPANEL's scope, but still within the range of an end-user, please do share. I'm willing to work hard on my part to solve this.

Thank you for your attention.

Nadeem

#1 qureshi, Aug 17, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Just curious what you're trying to accomplish with this? Whats the general idea? You have full control over your own databases via PHPMyAdmin in your cPanel. Your host should have told you that.

3. qureshi

qureshi Registered

Hi there,

I am trying to achieve better security.

I'm working on a script, that facilitates user registration. However, I want webmasters to be able to add their forums so that their users do not have to re-register, but can login with their forum details.

I understand and fully endorse any skepticism that originates when a stranges asks to ble able to access your database. That is why I want to make webmasters aware of the fact that they can limit rights of the user account my script will be using. It will only need access to an user table and and only need to select the username and email fields, whilst being able to use WHERE on password field. This way, the account cannot be misused to read private message tables, or moderator forum post etc. This will give the webmaster confidence and give him incentive to join.

I know it's possible to ask webmasters to contact their hosts to the necessary changes, but I'm wondering if it possible for someone to do it themselves.

Yes, I probably do have full control of my database, but where is the interface through which I can exercise my control? I was hoping that it perhaps was inside CPANEL.

Thanks for your reply.

Nadeem