The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graylist for Yahoo.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mail2sacp, Dec 30, 2008.

1. mail2sacp

mail2sacp Well-Known Member

Hi,

how can we create graylist which can allow domains to send/receive email to yahoo?

I heard it can be done in /etc/ somewhere which will allow domains on server to send email to yahoo in inbox and will not go to bulk or will not bounce back.

If anyone knows about than please update us.

Regards
    Mail2sacp.

2. DaveUsedToWorkHere

DaveUsedToWorkHere Well-Known Member

Are you looking for a way for Yahoo! to accept messages straight to the inbox from your domains, rather than having your domains' emails go to the bulk folder or bounce? If so, this is not done with greylisting.

Sending mail to Yahoo! is a major headache for most domain owners as while Yahoo! talks about specific items on how to make mail sending to Yahoo! work, they don't actually provide a list of criteria for mail to be accepted.

Here are things that you can do to improve the chances of Yahoo! accepting your email:

1) Enable DomainKeys on the domain. Domain Keys can be enabled under Mail >> Email Authentication in the cPanel interface for the domain in question.

2) Enable SPF. SPF can be enabled under Mail >> Email Authentication in the cPanel interface for the domain in question.

3) Ensure your mails server IPs have reverse PTR records so that Yahoo!'s servers can do a reverse DNS lookup on your server. Your IP provider will be able to configure the proper records for you.

4) Ensure that your DNS records relating to the domain(s) sending mail are accurate.

With all the above said, Yahoo! will typically send mail from new domains straight to bulk so if your domain hasn't been around for 6+ months, you may still have issues. Also, you may still have issues for some other arbitrary reason that Yahoo! does not disclose.

I hope the above can provide some assistance in dealing w/ the headache of sending mail to Yahoo!.

3. mail2sacp

Hi dave... thanks for your prompt reply.

The steps you told are already taken care from our end and also verified that those are working fine.

domainkey, spf, ptr are working fine on server end no problem.

But still we have issue sending email to yahoo.. In search we found that some graylist can be built which can resolve the issue. In this gray list we need to put our server all IP's.

If anything can be done from Cpanel regarding would be really great as we are tired with not getting reply from yahoo.

Regards
    Mail2sacp

4. DaveUsedToWorkHere

Do you have a link or some resource material I can look at? I'd be happy to let you know how to make the changes but I'm not familiar with graylisting for Yahoo!

5. mail2sacp

Hi,

yesterday I was found one URL on which 2 person's did graylist configured on their server which works fine but I don't have that URL now. If I get it I can provide you.

Regarding graylist I did found some information from following URL. please read it.
    http://weblog.infoworld.com/gripeline/archives/2007/06/yahoos_greylist.html

Update if you can plan or manage something which can fix our issue and we can have this posted on Cpanel forum for our clients who have this issues.

Regards
    Mail2sacp

6. DaveUsedToWorkHere

In the case above, they are trying to defeat Yahoo!'s graylist by resending a deferred message multiple times until it is delivered. Yahoo! is denying delivery attempts up to a certain amount (some people say 10 tries). So what you want to do in this case, is to tell exim that whenever you get a bounce message from Yahoo!, to keep retrying until the message is delivered. You can do this in a number of ways but there's an example below:

Code:
    yahoo.com  *   H,6h,10m
    This example will retry in random approximately ten minute intervals for 6 hours to deliver the message when a failed delivery attempt comes in from yahoo.com. So, in theory, it can try up to 60 times to deliver the message to Yahoo!

To enable retry rules in exim, go to WHM >> Exim Configuration Editor >> Advanced Editor

Then, add retry rules, 1 per line in the box right under begin retry in the RETRY CONFIGURATION section (scroll all the way to the bottom of the page).

Then, click 'Save'.

I can't guarantee that this will fix your issues sending to Yahoo! as the default retry ruleset already will try to send over 10 times:

Code:
    *                      *           F,2h,15m; G,16h,1h,1.5; F,4d,8h

# This single retry rule applies to all domains and all errors. It specifies
    # retries every 15 minutes for 2 hours, then increasing retry intervals,
    # starting at 1 hour and increasing each time by a factor of 1.5, up to 16
    # hours, then retries every 8 hours until 4 days have passed since the first
    # failed delivery.
    For more specifics on how exim retry rules work and their syntax, check here: http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.68/doc/html/spec_html/ch32.html#SECID158

7. DaveUsedToWorkHere

Hi,
    I'm not sure what the above URL is. It appears to be a list of IPs that you can configure your mailserver to not greylist however, I'm not sure exactly what this list is trying to accomplish. Can you fill me in?

8. mail2sacp

9. bvierra

bvierra Well-Known Member

What you are seeing is the exact opposite of what you are seeing. Yahoo is graylisting your domain, if you have setup SPF and DomainKeys for the domain, they give you a link you can follow in the greylist email that lets you contact them to remove the greylist. However I have noticed even filling out the form from the link it does little.

10. mail2sacp

Hi bvierra,

Thanks for your kind attention.

Can you let us know the URL on which we can fill up form and get removed our domain from yahoo graylist?

Please update us if anything else we need to do.

Regards
    Mail2sacp

11. ffeingol

ffeingol Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    If it's what I'm thinking just search your exim_mainlog for deferred and you'll see the link. Having said that it's utterly useless. It's just attached to an auto-responder and you'll never get a "real human" to read/reply.