The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grey Listing, can delivery be speeded up?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by keat63, Jun 30, 2015.

1. keat63

keat63 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Lets say a customer sends an email and it's grey listed.

An end user is sitting over his PC waiting for it to arrive, but it doesn't due to it being grey listed.

If the end user sends the same message again, does this one also become grey listed, or would the mail server see this as the second attempt and allow it through ?

2. 24x7ss

24x7ss Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

Mail server will grey list it as it will be another email. Did you try to find out why is it being gray listed ?

3. keat63

keat63 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm about to impliment grey listing on our server, and an interfering busybody got involved.
    I checked my mail logs this morning to see how many times that we'd been grey listed, and it's interesting to note, that no one had ever noticed that we had.

Any how, i think my logs may have answered my own question, regarding the length of time an email is greylisted.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

There are actually three setting you can adjust that control mail acceptance with greylisting:

Initial Deferral Period (in minutes)
    Resend Acceptance Period (in minutes)
    Record Expiration Time (in minutes)

You can click on the "i" icon next to each option in "WHM >> Email >> Greylisting" to see an explanation of how each option works.

Thank you.

5. brt

brt Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The only thing that will determine how quick the message comes through is how fast the sending server retries, and this isn't anything the sender can control (unless they own/manage the sending server).

Sending the message again will be a new, unique message which will also be greylisted.

I advise setting the Record Expiration Time (in minutes) to something high -- very high, like a month (43200). If a message got through, it'll get through again anyway, so this basically whitelists any host that does get through after one deferment for a month.

Also note that the included Trusted Hosts apparently don't update automatically, so you must run the following script:

/scripts/setup_greylist_db --trust aol --trust apple --trust comcast --trust cpanel --trust google --trust hotmail --trust microsoft --trust outlook --trust roadrunner --trust verizon --trust yahoo

6. havenswift

havenswift Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It is crazy that these arent auto updated at least once per day automatically by cPanel but this can at least be added via cron but a pain having to do this for all our servers.

However, we have just run this and a huge number were of IP ranges were added but even then the list is only as good as what is being maintained by cPanel and there are a huge number of Microsoft IP addresses being used that havent been added.

This is potentially a great feature added by cPanel but the list needs to be constantly updated by them at least daily

7. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

This was actually discussed recently on our Edge-Users mailing list. Here is a quote from the product owner handling this feature:

Thus, there are already plans to address this concern, but there's no time frame on it's implementation at this time.

Thank you.