The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Group owner change permission denied

Discussion in 'Security' started by cornelombaard, Apr 24, 2013.

1. cornelombaard

cornelombaard Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am new to this forum and CPanel administration as a whole. I read in one of these posts that I should change the group of the public_html folder to that of the user. I did that and I was denied access to the website. Then I changed it back and it was working again.

I have a problem with permissions on my sever in that certain folders cannot be created by the php software and a lot of the times I am being told that the server needs write permissions on a certain folder. If the user is the owner of the public_html folder and the permissions are 755 then isn't there write permissions on the folder and the folders created beneath it? If the owner of the public_html folder creates a folder inside public_html then the new folder permissions are 755 so then the user can do anything so why am I being told the folder requires write permissions?

This is really a battle as I cannot install wordpress, joomla, magento or any other software since I keep being told that certain folders do not have write permissions. How do I fix this please?

2. cornelombaard

cornelombaard Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Wow I could really use some help as permissions is causing my hosting to be kind of useless. Anybody?

3. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    SuPHP is enabled by default on new cPanel servers. This is a good solution to your issue.

But not with magento I don't think.

If you feel you need some assistance, there are Professional System Administration services offered here:
    Sys Admin Services | cPanel App Catalog