The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Growing/Expanding/Extending Paritions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xipher, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Xipher

Xipher Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I am building up a cPanel system at the moment, however I've run into an issue. How exactly with cPanel can I extend/grow/expand a partition. The plan is to have a nice Raid10 system, and to add disks as required, do online raid expansion and be all well... but how can I do something like, grow the /home partition with cPanel?

Looking forward to your replies.

2. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    cPanel just reads the space from the filesystem. You would just expand it like you would any other server.

That being said you need to make sure you are aware of the risks of online RAID expansion. It works most times, but it does not always work and you might end up with a corrupt array.

For the filesystem you can use LVM which can be expanded.

You also could always add a second array as /home2, but if you do RAID10 that means you would have to add in in 4 drive groups for each partition.

3. Xipher

Xipher Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Certainly aware there can be issues with any dynamic device configurations.

That sounds alright, using LVM to do online expansion after slipping another set of drives in and adding them to the array, but will I run into issues with disk quotas becoming corrupt, etc, are there plans to add a nice interface for this?

There is no way I'd accept creating multiple raid10 arrays, it would be very counter productive not to pool as many spindles together in one array as possible using this method.

Anyone done this in the real world? I'd find it kinda difficult to think no one has added drives to an array and not expanded a partition on a cpanel system before, we all run out of space at some point.