The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GRSecurity Configuration

Discussion in 'Security' started by LeadDogGraphics, Mar 19, 2015.

1. LeadDogGraphics

LeadDogGraphics Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have read many threads and articles on security, many of them advise installing the GRSecurity kernel to mitigate many common threats and exploits, however finding any recent articles on installing and configuring GRSecurity is near impossible.

I run a sever with cPanel / WHM so I am looking for instructions that take that into account, as I don't want to run into any compatibility issues or configurations that block access for cPanel functions. cPanel documentation now recommends installing this kernel as a solution for the symlink race condition here, however cPanel does not give any information on installing or configuring GRSec to be compatible.

If someone could please provide some instructions on configuring it, there are a few tutorials that will help with installing it, I started a thread a few years ago on Webhosting Talk but was ultimately not able to get GRSecurity configured to work properly and had to abandon the effort.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. LeadDogGraphics

LeadDogGraphics Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I too was thinking about going the cloud linux route, as I know they implement quite a few of the GRSec restrictions into their kernel. Is it a worthwhile choice for a webserver running only one website for one client only on a dedicated hardware?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    One advantage of using Cloud Linux is that it's fully supported and integrated with cPanel. Though, whether it's cost effective when you only have a single account is something you would have to analyze and determine.

Thank you.