The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide for clients using outside DNS and Google Mail

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by tulsabobt, Oct 2, 2010.

1. tulsabobt

tulsabobt Active Member

I'm looking for a guide or definitive answer. We have some hosting clients who are controlling their own DNS via GoDaddy Total DNS or Network Solutions Advanced DNS. They point their MX to Google and their ftp & www to us.

My questions are:
    1) Do we delete or edit their original DNS zone in any way?
    2) WHat all do they need to have cname or A records for other than www and fhp? whm? cpanel? sub domains?
    3) Do they have to have a dedicated IP or is this possible on shared IP?

Thanks,
    Bob

2. gettomy

gettomy Registered

Hi,

If your client wants to setup an MX record that s pointing to google, then you have to edit the zone file and remove the existing MX record for the domain and enter the following entries.

example.com. IN MX 1 ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM
    example.com. IN MX 2 ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM

replace the example.com. to the domain name

3. tulsabobt

tulsabobt Active Member

Thanks for the suggestions but in all honesty that is neither a definitive answer nor is it complete. I KNOW what to do if using MY DNSbut as the question stated, we're looking for what to do when the client uses an external DNS manager.

If anyone else can jump in I would appreciate it.

Bob

4. RJay45

RJay45 Registered

I contacted my cPanel supplier's support about this a while ago and the following is based on their advice.

If the account's domain has a separate DNS server from your cPanel managed one you can delete the DNS zone and add the domain to the /etc/localdomains file.

On the remote side you will have to set the A records of the domain to the shared (or account assigned) IP address of your server. This includes the main domain A records and any sub domains.

With regards to subdomains you still have to add them in cPanel (in order for the Apache virtual host to be added) but this will trigger the DNS zone file being re-created. This can be deleted safely.

I believe also if you don't want to delete the zone for the domain you can just set it to use the 'Remote Mail Exchanger' and this adds the domain to the /etc/localdomains file. This fixed an issue of inter-account emails getting lost for me. I don't know what other side affects of an incorrect zone file on the server might be locally. I went safe and delete the zone.

I hope this is of some help.

5. mikelegg

mikelegg Well-Known Member

In my experience, what gettomy says above is all that's needed because cPanel uses the MX info to automatically modify the etc/localdomains etc/remotedomains & etc/secondarymx files for you.

I don't recommend deleting the zone file though, I tried this once a few years ago and it screwed up the cPanel account quite a bit.