Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

H2PushResource Uncompressed after EA4 update

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by gnetwork-cp, Jan 31, 2019.

1. gnetwork-cp

gnetwork-cp Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi all, I just noticed after yesterday's EA4 update, that the CSS pushed by header using H2PushResource directive, started being served uncompressed (no gzip or brotli).

This was my header directive to serve H2 pushed CSS, which always delivered compressed (gzip/brotli) until now:
    Code:
    H2PushResource /css/style.css
    After changing to the more commonly used directive, all works fine again - serves compressed (gzip/brotli):
    Code:
    Header add Link "</css/style.css>; rel=preload; as=style"
    I started using H2PushResource a while back after reading it was that little bit faster. No big deal, just thought I'd let you know for feedback.

2. gnetwork-cp

gnetwork-cp Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Don't worry about this issue, looks to have been problem with mod_cache...

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @gnetwork-cp,

I'm glad to see you were able to solve the issue. Do you have any additional details to share about how the problem related to mod_cache in-case someone else faces the same issue?

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. gnetwork-cp

gnetwork-cp Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi @cPanelMichael
    I usually write a fair bit on forums to help others when I have solved a problem, but in this case I have left using mod_cache, again, after having too many issues to solve. That's why I didn't write more. The problem disappeared when I stopped running mod_cache.

Mod_cache/mod_cache_disk may work well with flat html files, but not so with Wordpress dynamically generated pages. I used it a couple of years back, and left it due to multiple issues. I tried it again recently, but after a week or so, the issues were stacking up, and with little documentation, and not a lot of users, it was difficult to pinpoint causes and resolve the issues encountered.

I have gone back to using WP Supercache (Wordpress plugin) which only had one issue, which I have resolved. It works just as fast as mod_cache_disk, using rewrites to serve cached pages, and also outputs the headers better.

I think most of the problems caused by using Wordpress with mod_cache stem from header problems due to the order of processing of Apache directives.

cPanelMichael likes this.