The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Handling of SPF Fail in cPanel

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by john8361, Nov 25, 2015.

1. john8361

john8361 Registered

Nov 25, 2015
    cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Our smallish professional society maintains a commercially hosted website, of which I am webmaster. As part of the society’s service to its members we provide professional email addresses of the form Emails thus addressed are forwarded to whatever address the member nominates, with the forwarder set up in cPanel. So far so good.

Our society also uses addresses of the form, which are forwarded to the relevant position holders in the same way. Depending on the position these may be forwarded to more than one individual. Again, so far so good.

The society employs the services of a professional secretariat, which members reach via the publically advertised address, which cPanel then forwards to . This is where the problem starts. Mail originating from one organisation to which some of our members belong is being rejected by our secretariat’s system with a report “SPF error”. This is a serious problem for us.

An apparently relevant Wikipedia article at Sender Policy Framework - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia says, inter alia (I’ve modified the layout but not the wording):

Conditions 2 and 3 are met so I’m assuming that condition 1 is met also. Is there any way I can modify anything so that a Return Path is written? Or is this likely to be insufficient? The secretariat is unwilling to whitelist the organisation involved, fearing that such a move would open the door to spam.

I inherited this website and the associated problems. The site’s original designer is no longer available. I know a little about cPanel, but clearly I don’t know enough. Any help will be appreciated.
    #1 john8361, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2015
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

cPanel version 54 introduces Sender Rewriting Scheme (SRS) functionality to Exim. This will address issues with email forwarding in Sender Policy Framework (SPF). Version 54 is not yet released to production build tiers, but feel free to communicate with your web hosting provider once this version is available for production servers to see if they plan on enabling SRS functionality.

Thank you.