The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard disk death: recovery successful, but how do I import recovered data into cpanel?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xgravity, Jan 26, 2005.

1. xgravity

xgravity Registered

I think my machine was rooted, or something similar, because I had a major HD data loss (looked like rm -rf /). I know that most people say if someone rm -rf / on an ext3 partition that everything is loss and you are fucked, but I had done ext3 recovery using proprietary windows tools before, and so I know this just ain't so.

So I spent all last night recovering the data, and it worked (can ya believe it?). I have all my clients' most recent data (/home/ and its 290 or so subdirectories), I recovered the /usr, /bin/, /root, and /var directories as well.

The directory that seems unrecoverable, that I can't find anywhere, is a nasty one: /etc. So this means I have lost my actual passwd file, groups file, etc.

The other SNAFU is that though these recovery tools work, they only output to NTFS, which mean I inherently lose all the security/permissions information on these fles.

Nonetheless, I have all the data, and mine was a pretty simple web server (apache, mod_php, and for one client, tomcat). So I decided the best approach (well, only approach) was to install a fresh Fedora Core 2 onto an HD, and somehow "import" the data.

Is there any way for me to do this "import" of data? That is, given that I have a user's /home/username directory, including the hidden directories cpanel creates, is there a way to just "import" that directory into cpanel?

I also think I have the cpanel administrative data recovered, I guess in /usr/local/cpanel or the like. everything under /usr was recovered, as was everything under /var (thank god, mysql runs off var).

Basically, I'm looking for easy ways for me to get this server back up and running tonight, given that I have (1) all the data, (2) a fresh FC2 install and (3) a fresh cpanel install.

Thanks,
    xgrav

2. haze

haze Well-Known Member

1. Fedora 2 is going EOL in march ( End of Life ), I'd suggest finding a new option, perhaps look into RHEL3 or CentOS3.
    2. You do NOT want to copy over binaries.
    3. You can rsync the data you know is safe and not compromised. Here's a basic howto.. should be used as a guide: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=232162

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Yup, I've followed the original on EV1 and that worked well - just be very careful about the SSH issue mentioned in both threads and the information Haze has given you.