The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Drive Partition(s)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by networkalive, Oct 19, 2003.

1. networkalive

networkalive Member

Hi Guys

I'm a new user to cPanel and got my server the other day (havent used a server for a while now and just getting back into it all).

One thing that i have noticed is that under System Health the Show Current Disk Usage it has:

The hard drive is 80gb and i want most of my data in /home, now according to the above partition info wont this mean that /home comes under / which only have 2.9GB of space.

I noticed that /backup has 51GB (most of the hard drive), is it possible to just delete this partition, create a new /backup one but smaller then create /home?

Would this affect the functioning of cPanel or would this be ok to do using fdisk.

Thanks, Steven.

2. ciphervendor

ciphervendor Well-Known Member

I would suggest that you follow the directions outlined on the following page: http://cpanel.net/install.html

You should probably format your machine and start over as that will be easiest. I would also recommend that you get another hard disk for backups rather than putting them on the same disk as all of your other data.

3. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Depending upon what you've already done on your Server, you might get away with renaming: /backup -to- /home.

If that is not possible then a reformat is in order.

Partition suggestion for 80 GB hard drive.

250 MB /dev/shm

001 GB /
    050 MB /boot
    001 GB /you << for personal use
    512 MB /tmp
    012 GB /usr
    004 GB /var

remaining to /home (approx. 57 GB in size, 50 GB usable -- or there abouts)

4. networkalive

networkalive Member

Hi Guys

The server is currently in the US and i'm in the UK - it was setup by the data centre for us so anything that has been done so far is down to them.

The server is not in any real use yet (only had it the other day so /home has only a few test accounts on there so can be deleted).

There will be a dedicated /backup drive soon just wanted to get a server for testing really - get down to the basics of cPanel and learn about it. So far i'm used to other control panels but liked the look of cPanel better.

I've had ago at creating two new partitions but they failed. The guy at the data centre said they appeared to be corrupt according to fsck. Going to try and sort this out now.

Thanks, Steven.

5. networkalive

networkalive Member

Hi Guys

Just thought i would update you on what i've done so far. I've managed to delete my two new problem partitions and create one under /home.

Was mounting fine under ext2 so converted to ext3 and was still mounting fine so added to fstab and gave the server using the APC reboot card.

Server hasnt come online yet so e-mailed the data center to see whats up at their end (last time it went down it needed a manual hard drive scan from their end). So looks like i got another problem but atleast i getting somewhere.

Once that is done i'll get the data center to add in a 2nd hard drive and mount that as /backup, do you have any recommendations for size of /backup hard drive?

Thanks, Steven.

6. networkalive

networkalive Member

The very nice guy at the data center got my server fixed and backup just under an hour ago so i'm all sorted now.

Thanks for your help.

7. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Good to hear your Server is back up -- always a good thing, that is. ;)

A backup hard drive should be the same size as the primary and used for nothing but backup.

8. networkalive

networkalive Member

I'll get the nice guys at the data center to add another 80gb hard drive into the server then.

Thanks, Steven.