The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Drives

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gamerunner2, Apr 3, 2006.

1. gamerunner2

gamerunner2 Member

Im not sure im posting this in the right forum but i hope i can get some help..
    Im setting up my own server's or very mini datacenter(a few servers for a big website) that will run Fedora Linux.
    And my problem for people on this forum that heard of runescape,its a game and my site is a help site for that game,and this purpose is for guides and alot of traffic and data,well i understand bandwith and all that but what my problem is on the main server or website server im gonna have dual internal 500GB hard drive's ...now im using the second one for extra space,but the problem i have is (i feel stupid for asking this) do i install fedora on the second one or also cpanel on the second one,or do i just format the second hard drive? ..i really need help with this.
    thank you

2. gamerunner2

gamerunner2 Member

"bump topic"

3. gamerunner2

gamerunner2 Member

"topic bump" please help !!

4. Murtaza_t

Murtaza_t Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    No there is not need to install any thing on the 2nd drive. Fedora and Cpanel will read the drive while installation. But you will have to mount it to use it.

5. hostmedic

hostmedic Well-Known Member

Washington Court House, Ohio, United States
    cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    hmmmf ... ok where to start.

Here would be my suggestion.

1. Have both drives in the system when you begin your installation.
    2. Let your linux version find both drives.
    (one last suggestion - suggest you use CentOS vs. Fedora for a production box)
    (you can download the ISO online by clicking here )
    (Cent OS is a Red Hat rebuild and very stable. Fedora is good but not suggested by many for Production Servers...)

3. When setting up your server I would suggest making a change to the install so your system using the following drive configuration (choose make my own vs. Disk Druid)

HTML:

ifferent partition schemes are suitable for different types of hosting. Some servers may require space to be allocated in different ways than others. This recommended scheme is an attempt to provide enough space for many different types of hosting but it is no substitution for real world experience. This partition scheme may need to be varied to suit the needs of your specific setup.

swap    2x memory size

/boot   750 Megabyteds (Mb) 

/tmp    750+ Mb

/          grow to fill disk size

*When you install cPanel this way your home directories as well as /var and others will autocreate themselves.  The limitation in following the [URL="http://www.cpanel.net/docs/whm/Installation.htm"]installation directions as listed on the cPanel website[/URL] does not allow for your /var directory to autogrow when needed.  Some directories may need to grow larger than the default (ie: /var stores your MySQL databases by default... imagine if you lost space due to a size limit - mySQL would fail...)

For the second drive set as /Backup  and autogrow to complete size.

4. Once done
    HTML:
    Make sure you are logged in as root.
    # cd /home
    # wget http://layer1.cpanel.net/latest 
    # sh latest

5. Once Completed type after the #> prompt: /scripts/securetmp and choose y to both questions.

You should be installed. Hope this helps.

6. gamerunner2

gamerunner2 Member

thank you very much and im downloading core 5 of Fedora so this one is'nt stable and people said it was light hardley took up space and ram and btw ram for this server just came in,now waiting for the processor's fans and case(shiping these days are so slow!!)...:)

7. hostmedic

hostmedic Well-Known Member

Washington Court House, Ohio, United States
    cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    sounds good

Do yourself a favor.
    Install the minimum package - make sure you do install the basic scripting tools otherwise commands to compile and such will not work.

Also - be sure to do yum updates prior to installing cPanel - its just easier that way.

If you get stuck - pm or ask the boards.