The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Firewall IP Making ReMapping with WHM

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hip Hop Servers, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Hip Hop Servers

In lieu of security issues I had to put a hardware firewall in front of my
    machine. This hardware masks my IPs as private IPs locally an then converts
    them to public IPs when requested by the net. My issue is that now I have to
    manually edit the dns to update the dns with the public IP rather that the private IP needed in the httpd.conf file to talk to the firewall. WHM populates the site with the private IP cause the information is in the account information and IP pools for the server.

WHM needs a mod that will allow users to toggle if they are using masked
    IPs and then allowing you to associate the public IPs with the network IPs. So
    that when a new site is created or settings are changed WHM puts the public
    IPs in the DNS files, and the private IPs in the httpd files that communicate
    with the firewall.

Mid sized ISPs or copnaies that host multipule sites, or using billing software to manage thier account creation now have to manually update the DNS entires of new sites. An if they have have resellers they would have to do the changes or have DNS changes done for them.

2. Hip Hop Servers

CAn anyone help on this issue?

3. DigitalN

DigitalN Well-Known Member

cPanel doesn't match internal network IP's to external IP's for usage with firewalls for you - Hsphere has that capability, to show the correct external IP's within the control panel and less confusion etc for clients who use the reseller control panel, as they don't see 10.0.0.x etc they see the external IP.

I'm afraid its a bit more manual with cPanel as you have found, you will need to do some mods to scripts like /scripts/adddns and others, to work how you want this to go, if you need the functionality of cpanel - automation - rather than manual intervention each time an account or dns zone is added.