The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has a hosted image been viewed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Moby, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Moby

Moby Registered

I was wondering where in cPanel can I look to see if an image has been viewed, and by what IP Address?

Say for example I place an image in an email, and the email client is set to show images.

Where can I look in cPanel to find the time, date and IP/gateway of the machine which pulled the image?

Thanks for your help!

2. saninfosys.com

You can go to file manager to view the image.

For example, you have upload the test.jpg in image folder, you can also access like http://yourdomainname.com/image/test.jpg

You can use any mail client like outlook express, microsoft outlook to send image with your email.

You just login to your cpanel and look on left side statistics for view the server IP.

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You could see any views on any pages or images in your Raw Access Logs, which does include time, date, IP and browser information for each log entry. In cPanel, go to Raw Access Logs, then select the domain in question. You'll be prompted to open or save the log. You would need to open it in WinZip or WinRAR (a program that can open archives).

Search for the image in those logs.

The issue with programs like Stats (Webalizer, AWStats) is that they focus more on pages than images, since so many images are typically on a page that there would be an overload of information to have all of the images listed for views in the Stats program. The access logs are far better for getting the precise details for that type of information.

You can choose to save these logs in the Raw Log Manager area of cPanel, since they normally clear each day (this would be the "Archive Logs in your home directory at the end of each stats run [ [every 1 day(s)]]" option). Be aware that the logs can take up a lot of space, so you might want to have them clear at the end of each month (this would be the "Remove the previous month's archived logs from your home directory at the end of each month" option).

4. Moby

Moby Registered

Thank you ever so much cpaneldanielle !!

You've more than answered my question and it's most appreciated !!

:)

5. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm glad to have helped, Moby :)