The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone tried other firewalls

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yamaharr1, Oct 30, 2008.

1. yamaharr1

yamaharr1 Well-Known Member

I would like to know if anyone has tried any other firewalls such as the ones located here: http://www.tech-faq.com/download-free-firewall.shtml

I run Chirpy firewall now and it works fine but when there is an issue there isn't much support for it so you are kind of left with your problems. I am not knocking his work because the firewall is always maintained and does provide many many users with added protection.

I am getting a new server and was looking for a firewall that also has an active community to assist in the event there are problems, any feedback on your experiences or experiences with the firewalls in the link would be great.

2. nxweb

nxweb Active Member

APF firewall is one of the most respected free firewalls available.

3. yamaharr1

Thanks for that information and I will have a look for sure.

I have a lot of respect for Chirpy firewall it is just the support that makes it difficult for me. I understand the builders are very busy so it is hard to deal with the forums and things like that but my skills are not up to the task of being on my own dealing with every aspect of it so if APF is a great firewall but there isn't any support once installed then it may be the same issues for me.

How is the support, builder support and community support?

4. nxweb

nxweb Active Member

as far as APF, it's a very basic firewall... I've never had need for "support, builder support and community support". There is a lot of information, support and articles/tutorials on the web about it... but it's really a very simple, set it, and forget it, application.

CSF is another great firewall, built by guys who specialize in cpanel... from what I hear the support for it is really good.

5. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You are on your own for every aspect of your own server. And I disagree with you about the support for CSF.

You might want to look into managed hosting and take some load off your shoulders. ;)

my 2

6. yamaharr1

I don't mind being on my own with my server, when I first started out I did use managed hosting and they do not manage anything except for the easiest of tasks. This was with 3 different companies if there are any problems or concerns with a third party firewall then they do not get involved so what is manage hosting going to do for me then?

I am glad that the support you have received has been good and by no way should anyone judge the product by my own experiences as I have said it is an excellent product. The support I have received has been null. I have asked 5 questions and have never received any answers. I do not want to get into details but 0/5 responses on some technical issues is rather difficult for me to continue with a product considering manage support does not get involved with it nor the builders. Maybe I need to be on the A list?

7. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    My experience is that you'll find even less support for apf than csf. I've never really had much trouble with either, but when I've needed support or had questions about anything from configserver, I've always had a positive experience. I can't say the same for rfx. That said, apf has been around a long time.