The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone used WHMxtra

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tank, May 12, 2011.

1. tank

tank Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I found the addon/plugin for cpanel
    /http://www.whmxtra.com/xtra-features/

Anyone have any input on it. It seems they have just installed a bunch of plugins for you rather than me installing them by myself and you can access them in cpanel.

Thans

2. rachelm

rachelm Well-Known Member

Well Xtra is a bit more than that. Some parts of Xtra are comprised of free things found around the net, we just make them easier to install. Other things (such as most RFX Networks scripts) have additional frontend modules custom coded by us to manage those features. And still others are custom scripts/tools written by us and only available in Xtra

3. SoftDux

SoftDux Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    we've been using it for quite some time now and I can't really say that it's worth the money spend on it. The only reason we got it was to install FFMPEG, which was a disaster.
    The only other usefulness I found in it, is that I can repair accounts, quotas, etc, without logging into SSH - which is sometimes a time-saver for me.

Their support, however, isn't the best around. I find that working with them adds extra headaches, especially when I actually need(ed) the functionality of WHMXtra, but ended up doing it manually in any case.

P.S. This is my personal feedback, and not a personal attack on whmxtra.

4. rachelm

You might be interested to know Tara fixed the ffmpeg installer, was an issue with mplayer moving a key file related to the 64 bit install. And ffmpeg is just one of the tools in Xtra, even I wouldn't recommend anyone purchase our program just for that alone. The overall purpose of Xtra is to make managing and repairing servers faster and easier, not just to install ffmpeg.

Your support experience is another matter altogether, Tara treats people the way they treat her, be polite and she's happy to help, be rude and (assuming she answers at all) she's not going to go out of her way to help you.

5. SoftDux

SoftDux Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Rachel, I have to be very frank with you on this one.

I find it very strange that every time I log a support issue, my support issue is the only one in over 10,000 users that actually happens. Am I really, really, the only client in 10,000+ that actually bothers to try and use the features in WHMXtra? Just today I had a problem with Virtual Network Monitor, and again I was told that I'm the only one with this problem and I can't be helped.

Interestingly, I only sent in a support ticket suggesting that the installers should have checked to see if all the dependencies were there, before installing the script and giving the user errors.
    And I don't really appreciate being told that it's my fault and my servers are faulty. Rather, learn to be a bit less geeky, and more human-orientated. Learn to write interfaces that check for dependencies, and the prompt the user to install them or offer to automatically install them. Other dev's seem todo this, why can't you?

The fact that Tara fixed the ffmpeg problem tells me I'm actually not the only who had this problem. And whether she doesn't like 64bit systems or not, it's not necessary to tell end users that the problem won't be resolved cause she doesn't like 64bit systems.

Here's a quote from a support email (#339057) dated 9/13/10:

6. s3ejm

s3ejm Registered

Well, no response from Rachel! I have a 64 bit OS, and I was just about to purchase WHMXtra but now I'm doing a double take.

7. tank

tank Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you for the update I appreciate your responses

8. rachelm

Actually I've been away for the last few months, didn't get around to visiting here till now. Softdux, Xtra does account for dependencies and installs them in the background, but occasionally things come up that require changes to the installer, especially since some servers security prevents the installer from working right but doesn't report an error back to the script.

Our upcoming G2 version will have an even more in depth installer that will avoid anymore issues with it. And just because Tara doesn't like 64 bit systems doesn't mean we ignore them, someone else codes the 64 bit stuff, not Tara so her feelings on the matter are irrelevant.

And most things work fine on 32 or 64 bit systems, only the ffmpeg installer is a real issue sometimes and we're working on resolving that permanently. You haven't been the friendliest person in your tickets either so you can't blame Tara for not being helpful. As I said, if you're rude to her she's going to respond the same way eventually.

I apologize if you've had issues with the program and Tara but you could stand to be a bit more polite when dealing with her. She is always prompt about answering tickets and she almost always is able to resolve any issues in minutes. We don't get many tickets around here and most are sales questions not support stuff but all tickets are responded to within a couple hours tops usually.

s3ejm if you have any questions regarding features and whether they will work on your server please feel free to submit a ticket using our contact form and someone will be happy to answer them for you.

9. Skyla

Skyla Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Searched Google "WHM should I get WHMXtra"

This was first useful link (#1 being WHM Xtra website)

Read Post, Don't think I'll be getting it, although I've seen at least one of the top 2012 web hosts use it.

10. BobHoliday

BobHoliday Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    WHMxTRA Any Good?

Is WHMxTra any good? I have SSH disabled most of the time so it would be handy if it does what it says it does, well, without much impact on server space or performance.

Any good or bad experiences?

TY

11. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  12. BobHoliday

BobHoliday Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Re: WHMxTRA Any Good?

Oh, doesn't sound fab does it. That's a shame. Thanks for replying.