The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have access through сpanel (port 2082) if the Suspend Accoun?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HostUkrNic, Mar 4, 2012.

1. HostUkrNic

HostUkrNic Active Member

Please help me. The server is WHM. When it Suspend Accoun also access your account through the client control panel (port 2082) is also disabled.
    Tell me, what is the way to the suspension of the site with a working access to the hosting control panel?
    Is it possible to configure Suspend Accoun so he left to access the hosting control panel?

2. gnextitsolution

gnextitsolution Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

The simplest way to do that would be to chown the users public_html to root.root . Ofcourse, you will need SSH root access to the server to do this.
    This way the website would be disabled and you will still be able to provide control panel access.

3. HostUkrNic

HostUkrNic Active Member

Thank you. I know that when Suspend Accounts root access via port 2082 is working. I am an administrator can go and see all
    the accounts including Suspend Accounts.
    I was not acceptable it is. Because I wanted to host our clients to go with your login and password.
    For example, my Account Suspend but I want to copy your site (from publik_html) to move to another hosting

4. HostUkrNic

HostUkrNic Active Member

Thank you. I know that when Suspend Accoun root access via port 2082 is working. I am an administrator can go and see all the accounts including Suspend Accoun
    I was not acceptable it is. Because I wanted to our hosting clients to go with your login and password.
    For example, my Accoun Suspend but I want to copy my site (from publik_html) to move to another hosting

5. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    No. It's the account, you suspended him, there is no way in.

6. mohd_007

mohd_007 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    When cpanel suspends account, it locks down the user password. I think this can be unlocked by playing around. So client would be able to login into cpanel but the site would be suspended. But if the client is smart he can rename .htaccess file to get his account working. Even though old ftp accounts cannot be accessed because cpanel locks them by putting "!!" in /etc/vft/username file but then if the client creates a new FTP account it will be created in unsuspended form i.e with double exclamation mark... and same is with the email accounts .. this means client has got access to everything .. then there would no point in suspending account.

If you want, I can make a custom suspension script for you where only public_html would be suspended.

7. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    He can't get to the .htaccess, his account is suspended.

He can't get to cPanel to do any of this, his account is suspended.

8. mohd_007

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hey Infopro, Yes I know client can't get into public_html and FTP account if the account is suspended. I was just telling the possibilities of what could happen if you are some how able to unlock the password of the account of a suspended account.

9. HostUkrNic

HostUkrNic Active Member

Which is a way to stop the work site, such as web hosting for non-payment, and access to cpanel keep working??

10. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    There is no way that I'm aware of to suspend an account and still provide that suspended user, with access.

11. mohd_007

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    As I said you earlier, there is no traditional way to do this. You will have to go beyond.

12. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    mohd_007 is right. If you don't suspend everything about an account (including their cPanel access) this puts them in a position to essentially unsuspend themselves. You must suspend all access to truly suspend the user (which the suspension actions cPanel & WHM performs will do for you). This is the action virtually all hosts perform (to my knowledge) when taking action on accounts which are delinquent with their payments.

If you want to suspend their web content only, but not any other aspect of their hosting account, you may want to simply temporarily set their bandwidth limit to 1MB. This would prevent their site content from displaying but would still give them full access to every other aspect of their account. The caveat here is that the message would be "Bandwidth Exceeded" when visiting the site vs. the suspension page.

Beyond that, there's no method to suspend a user in the manner you're requesting -- since that wouldn't be an actual suspension. Anything beyond what I've mentioned above would have to be manual "suspensions" you perform by manually breaking portions of their account, which would be unsanctioned and unsupported actions. I wouldn't recommend this, because some of the actions you'd take to break the account (setting ownership on critical files to root, etc.) would cause the account to fail to backup properly among other potential issues.

13. handsonhosting

handsonhosting Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What we do is create an .htaccess file within the clients site and set it up with password protection on the public_html folder. We then change the owner of the .htaccess file to root - this prevents the user from being able to override any settings.

Once the person has addressed the issues (usually they're suspended for malware or defacements etc) - our system admins run a check and then remove the deny access line and set the owner of the file back to the client.

So while a traditional suspension doesn't work, setting the ownership of the .htaccess file does work and it will allow the client to continue to receive emails etc, just nobody can view the site (or it directs to a page saying "down for maintenance" etc).

14. HostUkrNic

HostUkrNic Active Member

Thank you for solutions to this situation.
    I want to say that developers should cpanel solve this problem and add a function to suspend an account client access to cpanel (2082) or at least to the FTP with read access.
    Course should be well thought out as it is "beautiful" to implement
    Agree that this is the correct option of cpanel

#14 HostUkrNic, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012