The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have upgraded - how can I transfer files?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rosie101, May 10, 2007.

1. Rosie101

Rosie101 Registered

Hi,
    I've recently upgraded a hosting account that has several sub-domains to a "reseller account" with WHM so that I can create a separate cpanel and log-in info for each domain. Is there a simple way to transfer the files? I read about how you can create back up files and then transfer them but that's for the entire account. I have a few clients using this hosting and I don't want to interrupt their service. Can I ftp the files even before the nameservers haven't been changed? I don't want to change DNS until all the files are in place.
    Also - I'm going to be changing from using Frontpage to Dreamweaver next week - would I be better off just waiting and doing this all from my Dreamweaver ftp abilities?
    Sure appreciate everyone's help and have learned alot from reading this forum - just couldn't find an answer to this particular problem.
    Cheers!:)

2. DaveUsedToWorkHere

DaveUsedToWorkHere Well-Known Member

Use the site's IP address to connect to ftp for the sites. You can use ping from the command line on unix or windows to find the site's IP address.

If you don't have the need for some added functionality that FP extensions provide, using FTP will make things way simpler as you don't have to install anything to use FTP (other than a FTP client or Dreamweaver).

You can also use Web Disks to move files easily if you are running cPanel 11. They let you mout the website's home directory to your local machine so you can drag and drop files, or edit them just like they exist on your home computer.