The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever heard of "kernal panic mode"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by noimad1, Feb 18, 2005.

1. noimad1

noimad1 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2003
    Ok, so this isn't really a cpanel question, but I have been having problems with one of my servers crashing every other night at around midnight. It is a complete crash - no ssh, cpanel, and won't even respond to a ping.

My datacenter says the server was in "kernal panic mode".

Have you ever heard of this before? What would cause this?
  2. trparky

trparky Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Yes, it is a condition in which the kernel was unable to restore order in the cosmos. hahaha

Ok, all silliness aside, it basically means that the kernel ran into a condition in which there was no way to recover from it, this usually means it was one of those ugly fatal errors. A kernel panic is similar to that God awful, scary Windows Blue Screen of Death.

It can be caused by several issues...
    A badly compiled kernel
    A kernel with bugs that should be recompiled to the newest version.
    Buggy software such as a bad version of Perl.
    Faulty hardware.

I would suggest you do this. Have the data center recompile the kernel to the newest version. If this doesn't help, swap out the hardware. 9 times out of 10, it is the hardware, but lets rule out a bad kernel first.
  3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Go on, have a guess
    I agree with what Tom has said here. I'd also suggest an fsck of the disks too to help rule out an impending disk failure.