The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having a noob problem with cpanel Very easy question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mboley370, Feb 9, 2009.

1. mboley370

mboley370 Registered

Hello,

This is the easiest question ever lol. I used the older cpanel for a year and am not the best with the new one however I am trying to use it.

For some reason when I place my index.html page in my public_html it won't show at all lol.

The only thing it says when i try to open it is server not found the regular page like your internet isn't working.

I have attached a pic of the file in my cpanel.

The question is what am I doing wrong lol. I am such a noob! I have followed step by step and read many tutorials of the new cpanel and can't find what i am doing wrong here.

I have also just noticed a new problem, i cant even ftp upload to my site at all. It says cannot make connection to host, the remote host could not be found.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Matt

Attached Files:

#1 mboley370, Feb 9, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  2. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

When you say "it won't open", how are you trying to access it?

by visiting 'www.domain.com' or 'www.domain.com/index.html' or ??

Do you have any redirects in place? What's the contents of the index.html file? (should you see text, or a pic or ???)

Any changes in hosts? or ???

3. mboley370

mboley370 Registered

Thanks for your response. I am trying to visit it by www.domain.com however i have tried the www.domain.com/index.html just to confirm that it doesn't work. There is also a www.domain.info that i have added and the index.html page wont work for it as well. It is a new host, everything has been setup about 48 hours ago for this acccount. I have another hosting account however it has a older cpanel and I am use to that and it doesn't have this problem.

I have setup the index.html page to have simple text for a test page. I have tried to upload it and make a new one both.

The only other thing I could think of is that I did change the way my domain pointed to the server about 36-40 hours ago. Shouldn't that have went through by now?

Thanks for your help.

I have no redirects in place.

4. rhenderson

rhenderson Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Run a DNS report on the domain and see where it says it is pointing to, there are a few free ones out there like http://dnsstuff.fastnext.com/index.php and http://dr.xoozoo.com/default.aspx this may help you find the error.

If it looks good there then try and access it via a proxy server, if that works than it is more than likely you ISP caching the site DNS.

5. mboley370

mboley370 Registered

Thanks for the response.

Ok I ran a dns report and I found that 1 of the ns isn't responding however each time i run it one of the ns is always running great with great responses. If I have the ns backwards could this cause my site to not run?

For instance if i some how had ns1 = ns2 and ns2= ns1 Could this mess something up or would the other ns just back it up to make it work correctly? If the correct ns came up on the dns report that means that its pointed correctly right?

So I guess it looks ok, so then I tried a proxy and it still didn't find my site.

I called where i bought my domain name and they said everything looked ok to them please allow up to 48 hours and its been way over that now.

Thanks for your help.

Matt

6. rhenderson

rhenderson Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    PM me the domain name so i can look at the DNSReport, I might have other suggestions if I can see it.