The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having multiple domains on a dedicated IP

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by ep2016, Jun 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ep2016

ep2016 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    So this may not be the right forum for my question, but I didn't know where else to put this.

So I'm about to move from my current hoster after years of issues with communication that came to a head In May & even now in June I'm still having issues with them.

I've been paying for 6 dedicated IPs for the entire time I've been with them & even my previous hoster. That's around 10-11 years in total.

I need them b/c I don't want them to be all lumped together where people who snoop around can see what domains I have.

By happenstance b/c I added a new domain to my reseller account (they are all my domains, I just like them to each have their own panel), my website coder checked to see which IP it landed on.

Then he checked an existing site & told me it wasn't on the domain it should be on.

I put in a ticket with my hoster & the next thing I knew, everything went to hell.

I had a Word doc with all my domains & which IPs they were under. I had done this with someone at my hoster on the phone years ago.

Most (not all) of the domains had been moved around AND one IP was totally empty & I had been paying for an empty IP this entire time.

There was also another one that had only 1 or 2 domains on it.

They stated they think this happened when we were moved to a new server. I was pissed b/c they didn't bother to check, & it was costing me money, plus I liked things in a certain order. And of course once again I was wasting my time with them.

The next thing I knew, I am told I can NOT have more than one domain, that CPanel won't allow it.

I'm like what????

I've had multiple domains on one dedicated IP for years, what's changed now?

They claim it wasn't allowed back then, but they did a workaround & they were going to talk to the System Admin & ask if they could do the workaround again.

Then I get an e-mail saying no, they can't do it. No explanation as to why they can't do the workaround now.

THEN I asked my website coder to check with HIS hoster to see if that's allowed there, as he also thought this was very fishy.

His hoster said yes, if you change it from a decided to shared, you can put other domains on it.

CPanel, can you please tell me who's right & why I can no longer have multiple domains on a dedicated IP?

Oh & they also said if I upgraded to a VPS, they could do it. Well I may have if I was staying, but there's NO WAY I'm giving them more of my money.

Thanks

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Shared IPs are for sharing. Dedicated IPs are for accounts that need a Dedicated IP, for SSL certificates for example.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  4. ep2016

ep2016 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Ok, my only reason for needing dedicated IPs was so all my domains weren't on one IP.

What I'm REALLY looking for (now that I know it sort of exists), is a service that will change the IP of my domains so people can't see all the domains I have.

I don't have SSL for all my domains, that would cost me a fortune as I have so many.

Thanks

5. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Even if you had 400 IPs for 400 different domains names, if you're using the same nameservers, hostname, or if you're using the same publicly available contact details for all the domains, there are ways to find out the domains you have on your server.

For example: check your hostname or any domain (like google.com) here:
    yougetsignal.com/tools/web-sites-on-web-server/

To properly hide every domain would cost you quite a bit more than just SSL certs. Separate IP, nameservers, hostname, contact details privacy, you may as well give each domain its own VPS instance or separate cPanel accounts on different Hosting Providers.

Name based hosting is what cPanel does best and is why so many of us uses it. The cost of doing name based hosting is less:
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_hosting#Name-based

6. ep2016

ep2016 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I can't afford SSLs on every domain I have nor was I planning on getting them all.

My whois is private.

But you did teach me about the nameservers, so thanks for that.

I think the only way to do this is like you said, try to find a hoster who will give me a deal on 5 or so separate accounts.

Thanks

Infopro likes this.