The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having some trouble setting up rDNS and ptr records

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Rasmusbdk, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Rasmusbdk

Rasmusbdk Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hey there.

Gmail is classifying every mail I send from the webmail on our server as spam. Mails sent through SMTP is delivered to the inbox. I am hoping to verify the webmail e-mails as well, by setting up a rDNS ptr record.

I have tried to follow this guide for the purpose:

How to Configure Reverse DNS for BIND in WHM - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

I have done as described in steps 2 and 3 but step 4 just gives me a not found: 3(NXDOMAIN) error. I think I might have missed something though - step 1 asks me to look up authoritative DNS nameserver of the ip, but I am never using this record anywhere.

Where would I use that in any of the other steps?

Thanks!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You can only configure RDNS directly on the cPanel server if your data center has delegated this permission to your server. This is uncommon, so it's typically a good idea to consult with your provider and request they setup the RDNS record for you.

Thank you.

3. Rasmusbdk

Rasmusbdk Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks. However, It's a VPS server where I have done every other piece of setup and installation myself. Wouldn't that give me this possibility as well?

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  5. Rasmusbdk

Rasmusbdk Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Okay. I guess my only real possibility is to ask the provider to it? Else im out of options?

Btw - I just deleted the DNS Zone because I wanted to try over. Now I get a "Sorry, the domain 132.221.83.in-addr.arpa is owned by another user (nobody)" when trying to create it again. Is this because of some TTL or was it not deleted correctly previously?

6. Rasmusbdk

Rasmusbdk Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Seems like the problem might be that the MX entries are still present. I can find the settings i made in edit Mx Entry, but I dont have any luck deleting them. How can I clean everything up to start over?

7. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It's very likely that your hosting provider will need to setup RDNS on your behalf. This is a standard practice, and some providers even offer an interface where you can request it through an automated form. As for the zone creation error, check to see if an entry exists for that name in the /var/cpanel/users/nobody file and remove it if the entry exists.

Thank you.

8. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Michael is correct if you own your own ip space or your provider has delegated DNS your ranges is they only way to make ptr changes

No it would not if you do not control the authoritative name servers for your IP space you can not make changes.

you can check by running

dig <your ip reversse>.in-addr.arpa

and it will give you the controlling DNS in the AUTHORITY SECTION: