The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having trouble installing an SSL certificate.

Discussion in 'Security' started by Gordon Rankin, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Gordon Rankin

Gordon Rankin Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have purchased an SSL certificate from 123-reg and am trying to install it in Cpanel WHM but everytime I install it, apache fails to restart showing an SSL error: Cannot read SSL cert from file

The Email I received from 123 reg contains an intermediate certificate and an actual certificate. As per the instructions I am doing the following:

In Cpanel WHM I go to Install an SSL Certificate on a Domain
    I Paste the certicate from the email into the certificate box, add the key (which I already have from when I generated the CSR) and I add the Intermediate key into the CA Bundle box.
    Now, Cpanel doesn't seem to correctly take the formatting directly from the email and shows an error on both certificates. The last line appears to have an extra line break, which when removed cPanel is then able to read correctly. It detects the cert as Globalsign etc and all appears to install correctly.

But then as soon as I try to restart apache, SSL errors are thrown up, beginning with cannot read cert file

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Have you placed full Certificate while installing SSL through WHM with : -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE----- : line TO -----END CERTIFICATE----- line

Please check this and try to re-install SSL because mostly this issues is occur when we place incomplete CERTIFICATE while installing SSL

3. Gordon Rankin

Gordon Rankin Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes I'm 100% sure. Cpanel Correctly reads the certificate, marks it as correct, can read the issuer etc. it's an odd problem.

4. popeye

popeye Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi are you installing this for a customers account or to make cpanel whm secure ?

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Please check the permissions of the CRT/Key files on your server. They are stored in:

Code:
    /etc/ssl/certs
    /etc/ssl/private
    They could also be uploaded to the following location if installed through the cPanel interface:

Code:
    /home/username/ssl/certs
    /home/username/ssl/keys
    Certificates should be at 0644 permissions, and key files should be at 0640 permissions.

Thank you.