The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heavy server load - apache

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by gmagana, Jul 30, 2008.

1. gmagana

gmagana Active Member

May 18, 2005
    Just to drop a note to those suffering the same situation as me. I had an extremely heavy load on my server, to the point it was completely unusable.

Not being a Linux admin wizard, I noticed by chance that when I shut down apache, load would go considerably down. Here is a screenshot of my top -c output with heavy load:

I decided this huge load was unreasonable (good CPU with two cores, plus 2 GB of RAM; overnight having a load or 150 to 200?? Something had to be wrong.)

So I decided to go on the Apache configuration and see if I found anything there. I initially wanted to just recompile Apache (what if some library had changed on an auto-update that made Apache go nuts?). I went through the options and disabled stuff like Tomcat (which I had needed earlier but did not anymore), but I also saw options like the Zend optimizer and some other caching options. Being on a limb (it didn't matter to screw up my Apache, all the pages on the machine were inaccessible due to the high load anyway), I enabled everything that spoke of caching, optimizing, etc... And here are the results:

So far, with a normal load, the load has not gone up above 1.00... It spikes at .86, that's the highest I have seen it in a while. Pages load up extremely fast.

I don't know if it was the recompile that fixed it, of the optimization options. I just wanted to post this on the forums in case someone else in my position that's searching for high load relief has something to try.

It'd be cool if there was a sticky post of obvious things to try before calling a server config and optimization service.

One final warning: I am not a master admin, so enabling the options I described may carry side effects, so I would advice to change your Apache settings with caution.
    #1 gmagana, Jul 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2008