The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hello cpanel support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hoodoo, Mar 4, 2005.

1. hoodoo

hoodoo Registered

Hello support,(or anybody else with an answer) I spoke with Jason in sales and he acknowledged the possibility of this and pointed me to you fellas for more verification. Ok, I'm not a customer of yours, my boss charged me with the task of looking for some hosting software for us - he spoke that he wanted to do some freehosting to begin with, then make the transition to payhosting later. The thing that turned me on about cpanel is your 'addon domains' function.
    So, say I have some domains that we own,
    foobar.net
    then I sell an account to somebody named jason.
    Instead of foobar.net/jason
    I'd like to automate the creation of this:
    jason.foobar.net
    And I'd like him to be able to access only his own dir via web interface, etc - plus give him an email account or two he can admin and access over the web, etc...
    I'm also curious if third-level domains count against the licensing.
    I'd like to know how easy/doable this is with cpanel, I'd really like it to be automated, it doesn't help much if I have to mess with configs x times per day.
    Also, I'm a fan of djbware, specifically custom qmail and djbdns - does cpanel support this software by default, may I integrate it as 3rd party without too much difficulty?
    Is there a way I can get straight to support instead of going through the forums? I tried the support request form, but don't have credentials to get through it.
    Thanks much Fellas

2. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    2 ways to do what your wanting to do

jason buys an account, you go to whm control panel and add a account username jason domain jason.foo.com

this will setup a 3rd level domain of jason.foo.com in the dns , assign him his own /home directory of /home/jason and will give him his on control panel to manage his account using the preset limits assigned to the account when initially setup

2nd way to do this is to use a 3rd party billing script that will allow jason to enter his own info into the script and will setup the account automaticlly using a API interface into cpanel with the same parameters listed above

we use modernbill but others like phpcoin , whmautopilot and several others

the billing scripting is a personal preference based on what features you need and how well you like it

All of the above ones work just some have features others don't

not any good way to use a smtp other than exim on cpanel as its integerated into several aspects of cpanel

cpanel uses exim which can be configured relative easiely, and if you need functionality beyond what the control panel can offer several of us here can assit you with modifications

also cpanel has spam and virus filters included and if they do not work as well as you need Chirpy on here has a custon mailscanner for exim/cpanel that will filter as well as you want it to

as far as support cpanel support ticket system usually works well,and you can post to the forum here and unless its a oddball issue someone will usually get you a answer pretty quick

#2 dave9000, Mar 4, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  3. hoodoo

hoodoo Registered

sweet

excellent feedback dave, thank you very much.
    Anybody have honest recommendations on a 3rd party payment processor for easy dealing with the cpanel api?
    If mods find that this question invites advertisement over advice, I'm sorry.

4. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    give modernbill a look

www.modernbill.com

MB supports most of the larger gateway/merchant processors

5. RAIS2

RAIS2 Well-Known Member