The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello im new and I have some questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dr34m3r, Jun 1, 2010.

1. dr34m3r

dr34m3r Member

Hello friends

I just got a VPS because my site was overloading a server on shared hosting.

so I dont know anything about VPS

I was playing around and reading some threads in here

I have a domain from 1&1 and created 2 subdomains in there for the VPS
    ns1.5lejna.net
    and ns2.5lejna.net

and done everything

----------------------------

So if I want to open my website now www.5lejna.net , What should I do ? how can I open the FTP ? and uploading my forum

I tried the root password doesnt work , I tried going to www.5lejna.net/cpanel with the root and root password , it doesnt work

---------------------------

and earlier i made an account in cPanel then tried connecting to ftp with the account i've made , it connected with no problems and www.5lejna.com/cpanel worked too

then i terminated all the account and tried again , but now its notworking

i create the account but when i try to connect ftp or 5lejna.net/cpanel , it doesnt work

#1 dr34m3r, Jun 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2010
  2. dr34m3r

dr34m3r Member

Hello friends

testing to see if the thread must be approved or i just lost the thread i wrote

ok i lost it .. lemme edit and write my questions

I have some questions about cpanel .. im new i just go vps because my site was overloading the server on a shared hosting.

but i played around and read some threads in here and learned a little about cpanel and how it works

------

I have set up my domain which is from 1&1 (dns and stuff) and it works now

but I dont know how to upload files , i tried connecting to the ftp with the root and root password of the vps , it didnt connect

-------

i created accounts before and it worked , the FTP and www.5lejna.net/cpanel <-- worked with the user and password of the account

then i terminated the account and tried again ... but now .. it doesnt work .. i create accounts but cant open the FTP or /cpanel

-----

what should I do ?

#2 dr34m3r, Jun 1, 2010
  3. dr34m3r

dr34m3r Member

Hello

I dont know why they dont just move my thread .. they deleted it .. after moving it

anyway ..

I got Vps because my site overloading the server on a shared hosting

and im new to the VPS..

but my question how can I start the site and upload the files and stuff ?

i created an account before on cpanel for my domain www.5lejna.net

then it worked , it connected to the ftp with the account i made and www.5lejna.com/cpanel <-- the normal one

but then i terminated the account from the server cpanel

and now when i create another account , it doesnt open the FTP or cpanel

what should I do ?

#3 dr34m3r, Jun 1, 2010
  4. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Friendly moderator note

I have merged all of the threads you have started into a single thread, since the content is essentially the same. I did not delete any of your posts. I merely consolidated all three of your posts into a single thread. Please stop starting new threads. A single thread will suffice for the questions you have asked.

Running a VPS is different from running a site on a shared hosting server. Since you have your own VPS, you have access to the WebHost Manager, which controls server functions. I recommend that you review the WHM documentation here, if you have not done so already:

WHM User Guide

Log into the WHM as root with the server's root password. Once you have logged into the WHM, you will need to create a cPanel account, if you have not already done so. The following sections of the documentation explain this:

Account Functions
    Create a New Account

The cPanel account username and password are what you will use to upload your site's content. Once you log in via FTP, change to the public_html directory, and upload your files.

I also recommend that you review the documentation for the cPanel interface, which is used to manage your individual site's account. Its documentation is available here:

cPanel User Guide

#4 cPanelJared, Jun 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  5. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Just to add to cPanelJared's comments, documentation is your friend. 1&1 hosting FAQ sections leave a bit to be desired but you might find something useful here.
    /http://faq.1and1.com/websites/access/ftp/index.html

If you're unsure of how to manage your shiney new server, your first stop might be with your host, 1&1. I'm sure they can help.

GL!