The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help a cPanel newbie do some customization

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smithsa, Jun 24, 2008.

1. smithsa

smithsa Registered

Jun 23, 2008
    I'm very new to cPanel, and wanted some help in answering some questions about how to do some customization that I'm considering. I have lots of experience doing software development, but know little about web hosting tools, so bear with me.

I would like to add an icon to a cPanel user's interface that triggers a PHP script that I've installed in the server. The user will get some form, fill it out, and when it's submitted my script will modify something in the Apache config file for that user's account. Without going into a lot more detail, that's the best way to describe what I want to do.

Are these assumptions about how to go about this correct:

1. Installing cPanel and WHM will install a copy of Apache. I'm assuming that the version of Apache that gets installed is decided by the WHM installer. I also assume that any differences in the Apache config files that are version-related will be abstracted out by EasyApache.

2. When a user clicks on the icon I've installed on his panel, we trigger a URL that's associated with the script I installed on the server. Somewhere embedded in this URL is an identifier for the user who performed the action, as well as the domain name that he's using.

Am I solving this problem in the right way? Is this normally done with a cPanel Plugin?

BTW, how do I put the icon in. Is the right way to do it a cPanel Plugin?

3. If I have some kind of identifier for the user, is there some way to get CRM-type information from the server such as his email address or physical address?

4. When I want to update something in the Apache config file about this user, can I do this programmatically through EasyApache? I couldn't find any kind of API for this. Will I need to wait for an Apache reboot for the changes to take effect?

Thanks for any help you can give. I've found some good developer resources for low level stuff, but nothing about how to put together an entire system. ?Any pointers would be great.
  2. ravindradhainwa

ravindradhainwa Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2008

Welcome to cPanel

1. Yes, cPanel installation will install Apache automatically on the server. And EasyApache abstracts Apache config files.

2. You can use built-in icons and plugins from your cPanel.

3. You can set a schedule task and mention the E-Mail ID on which you want mail which contains details.

4.You can not use EasyApache for single or group or users. It make changes over whole server. If you edit any thing into the Apache config file, then you have to restart Apache service on the server.

Ravindra Dhainwal
    cPanel Reseller Hosting
    #2 ravindradhainwa, Jun 24, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2008