The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help adding j2sdkee to system

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by craigc, Nov 5, 2004.

1. craigc

craigc Registered

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody has installed the j2sdkee1.3 on their cpanel system. I have added the paths to the /etc/bashrc but when I run the apps in question I get a java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError for the class in question (found in the j2ee.jar). It would appear that it is not picking up the 'new' classpath setting. Does anybody know what I may be doing wrong? From what I understood all I needed to do was set the classpath to point to the appropriate lib directory (in my case /usr/java/j2sdkee1.3/lib) and have set the J2EE_HOME.

Thanks

Craig.

2. craigc

craigc Registered

Subtle differences between Tomcat 4.31 and 5

Hi All

If you are interested, the problem I had was with an existing installation of Tomcat 4.31 that was upgraded by the wonderful people at cpanel. If you can't spot the sarcasm, well there it was. They unbeknonwst to me, upgraded my server without my authority from a custom built tomcat 4.31 that supplied j2ee support for an application written for a client. The kicker was that they removed the j2ee libraries from our system. Tomcat 5 aparently (well according to apache group) ignores the classpath when it loads, so thats why our j2ee apps stopped working. Took me a little while to figure this one out (and a little of the the ol' RTFM). The relevant section is listed at this URL: http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/class-loader-howto.html
    So after much trouble I have 'fixed' an already working installation again. This was accomplished by copying the relevant j2ee jars (for me basically /usr/local/j2sdkee1.3/lib/*.jar) to the tomcat shared lib path (for me: /usr/local/jakarta/tomcat/shared/lib). This has solved the problem. I'm not sure if it is the correct answer, but it works, and I'll do some more reading.

Have fun everybody, I know this little exercise has worn my patience out with cpanel group.

Thanks and Good Luck!

3. cPanelBilly

cPanelBilly Guest

If you installed a cPAnel addon that uses java (or easyapache --java support) then yes, it will override your default settings with the default cPanel ones.

4. craigc

craigc Registered

What exactly do you mean by default settings? Does that include libraries installed under root account access? In our case the "default settings" overriden included removal of the j2sdkee1.3.1 (which is not installed under tomcat directories) and the downgrading of the j2sdk from version 1.4.1.02 to 1.4.0.0.

Thanks

Craig.