The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help, all my SSL domains were down

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by evisions, Mar 1, 2004.

1. evisions

evisions Well-Known Member

Over the weekend I had some sort of issue with SSL on my cpanel machine. All the domains that use SSL were inaccessibly (securely or not). I don't know what the issue was, I tried restarting apache from cpanel this morning and they were still down, so I rebooted the whole server and they are back up. I need to know if the issue was with apache, SSL, or the IP addresses so that I can take some action to prevent this from happening again. Can anyone tell me where to look to investigate this issue further?

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

When you restarted Apache, are you sure that it shutdown all the httpd processes? If not, there may have been problems on restart. This would explain why a reboot helped as that would obviously shut everything down and start from scratch.

Don't rely on the Apache restart in WHM, you should check from shell and do it from there.

Other than that, no idea ;)

3. evisions

Johnathon,
    I'm new to cpanel, so I'm still learning what I can trust it to do, and what I can't. I didn't check to see that it shutdown everything.
    My main concern here is not that I had to reboot the server, but that I don't know why my dedicated IP accounts were inaccessible. Cpanel seems to be able to monitor apache's status just fine, but if it can't tell when IP based accounts aren't up that isn't very useful. Naturally the IP based clients are the most particular and I would rather they were up that the others were down, then vice versa.
    Does anyone know which logs I should look into to see why these sites were down?

Thanks,
    Chad

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You're after the Apache error logs which can be found at:

/usr/local/apache/logs/error_log

5. evisions

This seems very strange. Looking in the error log I see my apache is doing graceful reboots constantly (> 1 time per hour). Why would that be?

Each one looks like this:
    [Sat Feb 28 13:20:31 2004] [notice] SIGUSR1 received. Doing graceful restart
    [Sat Feb 28 13:20:31 2004] [notice] Apache/1.3.29 (Unix) mod_auth_passthrough/1.
    8 mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 PHP/4.3.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2634 mod_ssl/2.8
    .16 OpenSSL/0.9.7a configured -- resuming normal operations