The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help (beginner user) [moved]

Discussion in 'Security' started by Workbench, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Workbench

Workbench Member

Help (beginner user)

Hi Everyone,
    I am a very new user of the "cpanel world" i only set up my first website about 2 months ago. It is a website design company, i have many clients and i wish to make a client area on my website so each client can login to a client area! i have made a new directory and set up a password protection on it. inside the directory there is a file called Welcome.htm. What i want to happen is when my client logs in with their uniuqe username and password their username will appear on the welcome page pnce logged in. for example, say their username was John is would say "Welcome John"

How do i do it? Im know nothing about PHP :confused: :eek: so i would be very happy if someone would take me through step by step of what i would have to do.

Thanks everyone! :)

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

Well, your problem is really covering a huge topic.

A solution could be implemented through PHP, Perl or a selection of other common scripting languages.

I could post an example of how this could be accomplished in PHP, however to do so I'd first have to present you with a whole list of questions in order to know exactly what is needed.

If I then did post an example, you'd only know how to do what the example covers and will still be a little lost when it comes to the rest of the client area.

Your best long term option would be to do some research and find out how PHP and Perl work, preferably by buying and reading a good book and then following online tutorials and examples. There really is no suitable shortcut!

3. Workbench

Workbench Member

Hi webignition
    Could you please show me an example of how this could be done in PHP?
    Thanks!!

4. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    To requote webignition,
    And on top this, this forum does not focus on end user issues. This forum is mainly for users of cPanel and issues there and administrators.

5. PanelGuy

PanelGuy Well-Known Member

Pre-configured

Why not use one of the pre-configured "systems" built into CPanel, or get Fantastico Deluxe. It's a place to start without having to know very much and you will learn as you go along.

From your post I can't really see if you want a forum, a CMS, or a Help Desk, but between the two options above you have a lot of choices at your fingertips.

Then you can "learn as you go". Just be sure to keep an eye on security issues pertaining to the solution you choose.

6. Workbench

Workbench Member

I dont really know what i need myself :( can anyone help??

7. PanelGuy

What is it you are trying to accomplish? What do you want people to see when they visit this "thing"? What do you want them to be able to do?

Start thinking down that road and in the meantime read about the automated systems built into your CPanel already, and maybe lookup Fantastico Deluxe and peruse what they have to offer, and how it fits your vision.

8. Workbench

Workbench Member

Right,
    For emaple!

my website was www.mybusiness.com and i had clients 1 called john and one called sue.
    they would be able to go on to my website and go to the "client login" page on my website. They could then type in their indivdual username and password which in John's case would be: Username: John123. then the next page they see (once loged in) would be a welcome screen and would say "Welcome John123"

The reason i want to do this is because, say i have 100 clients, i do not want to make a indivdual welcome page for each client. It would be silly! It would be much better to have one page that would chage depending on the username logged in.

I have used the built in Directory Protection service on my cpanel to create the users.
    I have a directory called client area which is protected. Inside that is 4 pages:

Welcome Client
    Make Payment (would be the same for all clients)
    Contact Admin (would be the same for all clients)
    Add Content (would be the same for all clients)

I hope that makes sence!
    Thanks again!!!!!

9. PanelGuy

MDPro

You want a CMS.

I suggest, MDPro at http://www,MaxDev.com

It is the easiest to go from knowing HTML to learning PHP in, and probably one of the most powerful free CMS out there. Not to start any back and forth with anyone over CMS. This is simply my opinion.

Note: This won't be easy, It will take a LOT of time and dedication, since you don't have previous CMS experience. But if you are serious about it, it will be easy at some point.

I'm not at that point, LOL.

10. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

Having an idea of what you want to achieve is a good starting point.

Before you even get to implementing the interface, you should start by designing the interface:

- what should it look like?
    - what features should be available and how should they be presented?

Bear in mind that these designs should be developed from the point of view of what the user wants to do, not what you want the user to do.

From there you can build static HTML pages that demonstrate the functionality of the services you are looking to provide and then you can build dynamically generated pages that are based on the details of the logged-in user.

In short, build up your design and, if possible (although highly recommended), get feedback from others on the usability and accessibility of your design.

Only then should you start considering how you will implement the design with the technologies you have available to you. You're jumping the gun somewhat by trying to find out how to implement something when you have yet to clearly define and design a workable solution.

I understand that you will have a desire to get your services up and running as soon as possible, but a rushed, hurried and poorly designed system will ultimately fail. Take things one step at a time and you'll be fine.

11. Workbench

Workbench Member

Hi webignition i have my layout and template and all o my website set already