The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - CentOS Bind inode issue

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Snowman30, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Snowman30

Snowman30 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Got a weird issue thats startted on a server runnign Centos 3.4 with the latest R of CPanel.

suddently a couple of days ago we LSM started sending lots of alerts such as:

(xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx = IP removed)

these were coming in with different port numbers about everty 5 minutes or so...

then we started noticing bind kept failing and cpanel kept sending out bind restart emails...

then we started getting Inode Validation Failed emails from nsiv such as:
    The datacentre didnt have many ideas other than to reinstall bind rpm's, do the ususal forced upcp etc which i did but its made no difference.

Bind keeps failing and these alerts keep coming...

anyone have any ideas as to what the cause might be or how to resolve this?

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I'd suggest you ask the author of LSM since it's an application you've installed. They should be able to tell you what it is checking and the implications. Is the application messing around with bind? If it is, maybe you should get rid of it. If bind is actually crashing, what do the error logs say? Are there errors when you start it too?

3. Snowman30

Snowman30 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Ive emailed rfx about it

Bind has just been crashing every 10 to 20 odd minutes wihtout warnign and the messages log is showing no error, just that its restarting, cpanel is sending out the usual service failed /restarting emails

Ive tails the log for an hour and i see nothign unusual other than the odd Sanity error

I did a forced update of the bind rpm's along wiht the ususal updatenow and a forced upcp to see if it helped but no change...

weird thing is nothign had changed on the server other than the fact that i deleted a reseller with a fair few accounts shortly before it started palying up.

Ive run fixcommonproblems fixndc fix everythign as well...

#3 Snowman30, Mar 8, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  4. DigitalN

DigitalN Well-Known Member

Something you could try is to check that the ownerships on all the dns zones are correct,

# chown -R named:named /var/named

Also check what is listening on the port 2240, is that something that you have installed ? Its not common to have that port listening.

I have had disk errors before that have caused similar issues to those that you are reporting, you could just try to reboot the server and have fsck take care of the issue, if there is an inode problem.