The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP! - Email issues after server rebuild

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by doulos61, May 3, 2011.

1. doulos61

doulos61 Well-Known Member

I recently had to rebuild a server due to a supposed DOS attack. I have all the sites back on-line and generally things are functioning as they should. However, it appears that I am having an email issue of sorts. This appears to be specifically related to any email account for the various domains that I host, including my own.

The long and short of it is two indications that may or may not be related. When using an email shell such as outlook, I am unable to successfully login to the incoming email server or send any test emails using the account setup option in outlook. This goes for any user level account I have on the server. The general cfg on the shell end hasn't changed other than a reset of the password to rule that out. When I watch the exim_mainlog I see the test email come in, but nothing as far as a failed email login issue.

What I am able to do is login to either the cpanel or port :2096 and access my email. From the server interface sending and receiving is no issue. I also get emailed root alert notifications from the server. I have tried the "repair mailbox permissions" applet to no avail if that were the issue. Also I have not been able to use the Horde interface on any account since the server rebuild. I have ran the horde reset script, but not the full horde reset.

I have resolved other issues during the rebuild while setting up the server that were related to permissions, and I get the feeling that this is playing a part. The mail function itself seems operational, but when it is related to user accounts login in is when the problem pops up.

Any direction would greatly be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Shoop

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Have you tried resetting the password for one of the accounts you are testing? Also, does this also happen if you create a new email account and test it in Outlook?

When you mention that Horde is not working, can you please define what that means? Is it throwing a set error upon login attempts? Of note, you can find the Horde error logs at /var/cpanel/horde/log/ location.

3. doulos61

I did a password reset on two email accounts. I also killed and recreated the email account. The result was that the exact problem persisted. I don't think it has anything to do per se' with outlook, I just get that popup that prompts me to re enter the password as if I submitted a bad password. I confirmed that the password is not the issue. I think what I am seeing is that the incoming email server is not allowing a login to process, validate, or whatever.

What is happening with horde is this - I login to the webmail interface (port :2096), and have the three choices (Squirrelmail/RoundCube/Horde). Roundcube, and Squirrel work fine. If I choose Horde, then I get the welcome screen, with the language pulldown, and a login button. If I click the login button, it comes right back to the same screen.

I think this has been going on since I restored the server back on Arp 13 - as there are 1700 emails in the queue at this time. I will look at the Horde logs - I didn't think to do that.

Thnx
    Shoop

4. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Can you try running the following command in root SSH:

Code:
    /scripts/whoowns domain.com
    Please replace domain.com with the domain name in question. It doesn't seem likely this has to do with ownership for the domain, since two of the webmail programs are working (Squirrelmail and Roundcube), but on the off chance it would be domain ownership.

5. doulos61

I did that last night, and it comes back with the correct response as far as ownership.

Shoop

6. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    At this point, could you open up a ticket with us in WHM > Support Center > Contact cPanel or using the link in my signature. Without any error message really happening, it's difficult to know what might be wrong, especially since ownership is correct, you've tried to recreate one of the email accounts, and you've ran the script to fix mail permissions from WHM. Please post the ticket number here upon submitting one.

7. doulos61

The ticket is - 1452642

Thanks
    Shoop

8. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It appears that Jesse fixed this in the ticket. The problem was that /var/cpanel/userhomes/cpanelhorde was owned by an account user. It should be owned by cpanelhorde:cpanelhorde. Correcting the ownerships appears to have fixed the problem.