The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help, email problem

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by hostseeker, May 4, 2004.

1. hostseeker

hostseeker Well-Known Member

Starting last Saturday 1 domain on my box is having problems with the email forwarders. All the email for this one domain that has several forwarders is stuck in the mail que. This only happened to 1 domain out of 130 on the box.

When I click the "deliver now" button in the mail que I get this error:

Message 1BL0Qh-000348-2v is not frozen
    LOG: MAIN
    => discarded <richard@thedomain.net> R=has_alias_but_no_mailbox_discarded_to_prevent_loop

I don't know what to do. I have restarted exim and the problem still exists. I have deleted and re-added the forwarder and it still exists.

I am using Cpanel version 9.2.0 version S25 that I upgraded to 2 weeks ago. As I said, the problem started out of the blue last Saturday and no changes were made to the account of server or anything. Server uses RHE 3.0

Please help!

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I would suggest that you check the syntax and entries of the accounts valiases file:

/etc/valiases/thedomain.net

It could be that it has got some odd entries in there confusing Exim.

3. hostseeker

Thanks, but upon checking that file all is correct.

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Are you 100% sure that you haven't got an alias setup that is forwarding to a POP3 account that doesn't exist? The error suggests that this is the case and it aborting so that it doesn't get in a loop forwarding the email to, presumably, the catchall alias.

5. hostseeker

The domain has several forwarders, all forwarded to off server addresses. All have worked well on this account for months. Then starting Saturday, all the email to all the off server addresses is getting stuck in the que and not forwarded. I made no changes, so I am mystified.

There are no email accounts (inboxes) at all on this server. The catch all address is :blackhole: as it has always been.

Thanks for your help.

So far I have ran: scripts/mailperm, scripts/exim4 and have restarted exim, nothing seems to help.

Again, it is just for this one domain this is happening, I have over 100 on the server, many with forwarders and they aren't getting stuck in the que. All of them also have :blackhole: as default address.

6. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Have you tried using:

WHM > Email > Rebuild/Fix Mail Dbs/Boxes

7. hostseeker

Yes, I tried that.

However I discovered the problem and it was not on my server. The customer's ISP had blocked my IP from relaying mail to them, thus the error message: has_alias_but_no_mailbox_discarded_to_prevent_loop

I thought that error message referred to "no mailbox" on my server, not the destination it was forwarded to.

Thanks for everyone's help.

8. appcomm

appcomm Active Member

I'm seeing the same issue....a domain that has been setup for 6 months and is working fine, has a number of forwarding accounts. Noticed in the WHM mail queue that there were a fair number of messages sitting there to accounts I knew were being forwarded.

In sending a test message, it hits the queue and sits there - but checking with the user they also received the message at the forwarded address!

When I attempt to deliver the message that is in the queue (deliver now), I get the message that it "is not frozen."

Also, even though this account is setup to forward, checking under Cpanel at the account quotas, their mailbox is full and over quota.

The good thing is....mail is being delivered. The issue - why are forwarded messages delivered, but held in the queue as "not frozen" and a copy also being delivered to the local mailbox?

Any words of wisdom?
    Thanks!

9. hostseeker

It seems that you must have an email account (inbox) set up and also a forward for the same address. The forward goes to it's destination but because the inbox is full, that copy of the email sits in your mail que waiting for the inbox to have enough space to hold it.

One way to eliminate this is go to the Exim Configuration Editor in WHM and check "Discard emails for users who have exceeded their quota instead of keeping them in the queue."

10. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

What you're describing is how exim has been configured to work. If you have a POP3 account and a forwarder setup exim will deliver incoming email first to the forwarder then to the mailbox. The reason the emails are in the queue and not coming off when you click to Deliver Now is because they're the ones waiting to deliver to the mailbox which you have said is full.

Moral of the story:

1. If you have a forwarder you should not have a POP3 mailbox as well. Not only is it not necessary, but you will also get mail delieverd to both (unless this is what you want).

2. There is an option under WHM > Exim Configurator Editor > Discard emails for users who have exceeded their quota instead of keeping them in the queue, tick this if you don't want mails to remain in the queue (as above) if the users mailbox is over quota.

11. appcomm

appcomm Active Member

Thanks Chirpy!

Makes sense....I should have seen that one! (Having a blond moment! :)