Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

help: exim + cpanel + wildcard MX record

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rs-cpanel, Jan 13, 2006.

1. rs-cpanel

rs-cpanel Registered

Hi,

I'm trying to get wildcard MX records working with a customer subdomain. As far as I can see, there is no way to set this up currently.

So, I set up a MX record for *.wild.domain.com. Exim rejected it with 'lowest MX record points to localhost'. To get by this, I manually added '*.wild.domain.com' to /etc/localdomains, and then edited /etc/exim.conf and changed all 'lsearch' lines for this file to 'wildlsearch'.

Of course, when it went looking for valiases, it didn't find any. I tweaked the checkvalias function in /etc/exim.pl to move up the domain hierarchy (eg for a.b.c.com, look for /etc/valiases/a.b.c.com, then /etc/valiases/b.c.com, etc.).

That seems to get the mail accepted, but then it never arrives anywhere. I'm guessing I need to replace all the lsearches on valiases/$domain with perl to do the same domain hiearchy trick to get the actual aliases.

Or, possibly a redirect router, similar to the vdomainalias one, that simply redirects user@*.wild.domain.com to user@wild.domain.com, and manually create /etc/valiases/wild.domain.com.

Obviously i'm not an exim guru here, so I'm hoping someone else is and might have ideas. I've run out of time to muck with it, so I thought I'd solicit ideas for my next try..