The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Exim failure after server rebuild

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by doulos61, Apr 17, 2011.

1. doulos61

doulos61 Well-Known Member

I have recently had to rebuild a server due to a supposed outgoing DOS attack.

The data center reloaded a fresh OS, in addition to replacing a data backup on the server. So far I have installed cpanel, apache, restore most of the account. I then upgraded cpanel, apache, exim, and mysql so that I am current. I then had a MySql load failure issue that has since been resolved.

Subsequently I went to confirm that one of the email accounts was functional. Horde will not accept my login, Roundcube errors with "IMAP connection failed" and Squirrel provides this error -
    Code:
    Warning: fsockopen() [function.fsockopen]: unable to connect to localhost:143 (Connection refused) in 

/usr/local/cpanel/base/3rdparty/squirrelmail/plugins/login_auth/functions.php on line 129
    I then search the forums and crosscheck some of the suggestions, and everything seems to be in place as the solution suggest.

I then go to to restart the associated services and get error -
    Code:
    Waiting for exim to restart...............finished. exim (/usr/sbin/exim -q) running as mailnull with PID 3108 exim started ok 

Waiting for imap to restart...............................................................finished. imap has failed, please 

contact the sysadmin (result was "dovecot is not running"). Waiting for mailman to 

restart...............................................................finished. mailman has failed, please contact the sysadmin 

(result was "mailmanctl is not running").
    Even with Exim starting ok, the service status still indicate that it is down along with IMAP. I have not tried to run an eximup since the MySQL resolution. I am suspecting that it is either a permission/ownership issue, or a result of the MySQL resolution. Primarily because this was an issue on some of the /home/client folders.

However, I am getting emails from the server telling me that exim and imap are down...

I am about to run /scripts/eximup -- force . I am not optimistic that it will resolve the issue (fingers crossed).

Any suggestions? In the event it failes, what logs do I need to look at, and WHAT do I need to look for?

Thanks in advance!
    Shoop

2. doulos61

doulos61 Well-Known Member

Update ...

So I did the Exim update successfully w/o errors. All seemed to go accordingly, but upon testing the problem persisted. I did some additional serarching and came across a similar issue on the forums. Apparently this new reload does not like "Dovecot" as a selection for a mailserver. I changed the selection whm/service configuration/mailserver selection from Dovecot to Courier, restarted imap, and exim.

Confirmed that both IMAP, and EXIM are running in addition to getting emails off of the server now.... phew!

Shoop

#2 doulos61, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011